Center speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephane, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Stephane

Stephane Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone with a screen tried this?

I was thinking of setting up not one but two center chanals. One on the bottom of the screen pointing a little upwards and the second one would be on the top shooting a little downwards. My screen is 100" across and takes up most of the wall.

I still have some left over space on either side to mount my left and right speakers there at about 4 feet off the floor.

Any comments on people that have tried this configuration?

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I haven't tried this, but it sounds cool.

3. Sean Conklin

I know when I was installing Home Theater systems, that it was common practice to use 2 Center speakers, but they were either located behind the screen or just below the screen.

4. Sean Conklin

Oh come on, one of us crazed Home Theater nuts must have tried this or something similar. [​IMG]

5. Stephane

Sean thanks for the responce... I would have thought that someone may have tried this. My screen is a Stewart GrayHawk and it is not Perfed. So I will get the other amp and try it out, Hell maybe I will be able to post my findings here.

6. Robert Mee

Robert Mee Agent

There was a recent discussion on AVS and the consensus was BAD idea:

Here's a snippet (posted by Dennis Erskine):

That is a sure fire way to ruin your center channel sound. Anytime you have two speakers producing the same sounds you'll have destructive interference, comb filtering and a long list of other serious problems.

Heres the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=234060

7. Stephane

Robert thank you for the thread that you posted in your reply.

I have to say that I was very curious and I tried setting up 2 centers, one below the screen and the second above it.

Let me say that they are not of your conventional center channel configuaration where you have bothe bass drivers on either side of the tweeter. They are M&K S125C centers. There configuration is both bass drivers beside one another and the tweeter after.

I have ran this set up for about a week and a half now and I must say that I cannot see where the distortion of which they talk in the tread comes from.

Actually I find that it centers the vocals in the middles of the screen. I will tryi it once more with a single speaker sone just to see if I can see a differance.

Thank you once more for the Thread Robert.