Center speaker with tone matching

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chris_Eff, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Chris_Eff

Chris_Eff Stunt Coordinator

I have a mid level Yamaha center channel that has a knob on the back that is used to match the tone of the center channel with other speakers (Mirage omni series). I originaly had it in the middle and it seemed fine. However it seemed some of the highs weren't as pronounced so I turned it all the way up. But now it seems like it has no bass when I listen to SACD's with no bass managent on but it could be the speakers limitations. Home theater is fine as I have the speaker set to small in the amp and it seems to blend fine. The speaker is rated 80Hrz-20Krz.
    My main question is that I want the speaker to exhibit its full range without losing any sound as it is trying to match my other speakers. So do I turn the knob all the way to the right or left or do I leave it in the middle. If anyone is familier with this type of adjustment I would appreciate any advice.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    80Hz is rather high for a center. There is no way to get this center to match your other speakers, since it is not designed to do so.

3. Chris_Eff

I know that since this center is not part of the Omni series it will not match perfect (Saving up for the Center some day, the WAF just skyrocketed with a baby on the way) but it does sound fairly close in that I can't notice it is a different speaker make in front sound pans and in MC SACD's.
    I am trying to figure out if there is a way to disengage the tone matching knob on the speaker so that it is outputting everything it is capable of. Or if there is no optimal setting I'll just leave it how I have it where it matches pretty well and replace it someday with the Omni CC.
    I admit the knob is gimmiky and the low end lacking but the couple years ago I bought it, it was good for what I could afford.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you knew your way around the inside of a speaker, you could bypass the tone control by connecting the x-over directly to the input (if the x-over design will allow it). If not, what you said is your best bet for now - leave it where it sounds best to you.

5. Gary Wolfe

Gary Wolfe Auditioning

Is there no way for you to tell the receiver that the center is a "small" size speaker? (The typical cutoff would be at 80hz, so that would match.) I doubt you can get real bass out of typical centers, so it's just a matter of where the cutoff is.

Outlaw Audio sells some kind of external bass management box which might be the answer for this kind of SACD hookup issue.

Gary

6. jonathan_little

jonathan_little Stunt Coordinator

I have a Yamaha center speaker (mine's an NS-AC40X) and I thought the knob on the back was solely for attenuating the tweeter. I didn't notice it changing the bass output when I moved it around. I think this speaker sounds fine for movies, but for music it sounds rather stuffy to me. It's probably the speaker in my setup that I'd like to upgrade the most.

I have the knob on the back set to about the 3:00 mark to match my main speakers which I just set by ear.

7. Chris_Eff

I think you are right Jon about the knob only affecting the tweeter. There is so little information about it in the manual and at Yammie's site. I do have it set to small in my HT setup and my Yamaha 1400 Ypao set it to 90Hz I tried it at 80hz THX but there seemed to be a noticable loss so I left it at 90Hz.
    I agree that it is stuffy for music, but it seemed alright MC SACD's as the other Mirage speakers pick up its slack, but I noticed on Nora Jones that the center speaker supplies the bass guitar. Of course my one speaker that lacks bass [​IMG] .
    I have all speakers set to large because my SACD player will convert the DSD to PCM for bass management and I noticed a sound difference with BM on and off; sounding better off. The only time it is a problem is bass coming out of the center channel. Someday I will get the Omni CC with its 50hz capabilities. My wonderful wife suprised me this Christmas with the Omni 50's for my surrounds but to replace the center channel that she thinks is fine plus our first child on the way I don't think so this year.