Center speaker when using LCD Projector

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dave!, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Dave!

Dave! Auditioning

Hello!

This must be a common question, but I just can't find anything about it:

I am planning an AV setup in which the video will be an LCD projector from the ceiling, projected onto a pull-down screen against the wall. How is the center channel speaker setup?

I really want to use in-wall speakers, if possible. I know the sound is terrible, but the main purpose of the room is for social functions, not home theater.

Anyway, regardless of in-wall speakers or not, where do you place the center channel? After I pull down the screen, there is not much space underneath it. The speaker would be very low to the ground. Somehow, it seems a speaker above the screen would really spoil the main purpose of the center channel, which is conveying voices. How about a PAIR of speakers acting as a single center channel, placed on either side of the screen? Is this feasible?

Please give me your thoughts...and thank you in advance!

Dave

2. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

You can go without a center speaker. I am sure that your receiver has an option for a phantom center. However, there really is no problem with the speaker above the screen, at least in my opinion. Mine is, and it works just fine.

You can also buy audio transparent screens, which allow you to place the speaker behind the screen. I believe those are pretty pricey.

3. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Both above and below are fine, just make sure you point the speaker directly at the listening position and have it no further back than your left and right fronts.

- Cryo

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I agree with this. Mount above or below (if you have the space), whichever is easier, and angle accordingly.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You want to have it either in a straight line, of ideally, identical distance as the L/R, which is sort of in an arc.

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    If you have to mount it rather low, under your screen, you may want to point it just above your (listening) head. That will generally give a slightly better positioning of the sound.
    Anyway, you should experiment, because all rooms are different.

Cees

7. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

I don't know how much room you have. You may want to consider a masking wall to hide the speakers so you don't see them when not in use, and pull the screen down in front of the mask. I did that on mine with a fixed screen, but it could be done easily with a pull down. Check mine out on my website above toolbox. Just a thought. See ya.

8. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Hey Shawn, in the spirit of Halloween, I think I should point out that this photo from your web site clearly shows supernatural entities in your theatre. Is it haunted? [​IMG]

Shawn's Haunted Theatre

- JS

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

can't dave just put the speaker directly behind the screen...in the middle? i thought all projector screens were acoustically transparent?

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No, most screens are like a vinyl, or an otherwise solid sheet of material. It would very much block and muffle most of the sound, pretty much eliminating HF especially.

Perforated screens are designed to be acoustically transparent, they aren't 100%, obviously, but they do allow you to put the speaker behind the screen, which is the best place for it. You will sacrafice a little bit of SQ for better speaker placement, and dead-in-the middle center channel imaging (worth it, IMO). You may also sacrifice PQ a little bit by having thousands of tiny holes all over your screen if you're sitting close enough to see them. Also, perforated screens are like most other screens. They cost a good bit of $$. DIY solutions can be much cheaper, but don't allow the option of having a perf'd screen, if this is important. I'm sure someone has tried perforating their DIY screens..., maybe there's something out there I don't know about, but I doubt it.

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

good info chris...thx.