What's new

Center speaker upside down (1 Viewer)

Jud

Grip
The tweeter on my center channel speaker is towards the top of the cabinet. My only real placement option is on top of the TV, so I thought, why don't I turn it upside down to try to minimize the vertical distance between the tweets on my mains and the center.

Has anyone else done this? Will this affect the sound from my center at all?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Try it and see!

I've heard many reports that this is an excellent placement option for those who have their center speakers above their TVs. My guess is that you would definitely hear an improvement.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jud,

It is always a important goal of speaker placement to get the tweeter as close to ear level as possible. At the risk of sounding obvious, this is why the tweeter is typically at or near the top of a floor standing tower speaker and not at the bottom, near the floor.

Conversely, it makes sense that if a speaker is say, mounted high up on a wall near the ceiling, that is functionally the equivalent to having the tweeter at the bottom of a floor standing speaker.

So technically, any speaker placed above ear level should be inverted.

The only caveat with an inverted speaker is that whatever it might be sitting on becomes an issue, since the tweeter will be very close to that surface. You certainly can’t, for instance, have an inverted speaker setting several inches back on a shelf. The situation with your center speaker is the same – it would be best to get it flush with the front of the TV’s chassis, if at all possible.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jud

Grip
The big concern I had was exactly what you just mentioned, unwanted interaction between the tweeter and the TV. Luckily I figured out a way to have the center's face about 1-2" in front of the TV.

Turning it upside-down really did help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks