1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Center Speaker Upgrade

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Nandan, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Nandan

Nandan Auditioning

Anushil Nandan
    Hi,

I have an Onkyo HT-S7800 and i would like to replace my existing center speaker with Klipsch RP-250C. Is it compatible with my existing system? Is Klipsch RP-250C worth the upgrade from my existing center speaker?

Thanks in advance

2. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    What is the problem with the current center? Have you tried moving it? Is it aimed properly and not buried in a cabinet?

How does Klipsch sound to you? Will it be out of place with the other speakers? Most of the time you want to get your speakers in a set designed to sound similar (timbre matched). Putting a random speaker in the middle may make things sound strange. Think of a movie where a voice starts at the left speaker and pans across the front. If the center speaker make the voice change it would be weird and distracting.

I suggest if you like the Klipsch get at least the front 3. Alternatively, check to see if Onkyo offers a better center (assuming you've done all you can with your current center).

Scott Merryfield and John Dirk like this.
  3. aPhil

aPhil Supporting Actor

Phil Smoot
    I understand the need for a separate Center Speaker for those with different layouts for their screen or monitor,
    but, in general, I never understand a Center Speaker that is different from the Right/Left Front Speakers.
    It seems to me that all 3 of the Front Speakers (Right/Center/Left) should be the same make/brand/size if at all possible for one's room.

John Dirk likes this.
  4. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Extra

Dawn Luks
    Agreed. All front speakers need to have the same drivers, crossover and cabinet characteristics.