1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Center Speaker / TV Interference

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ryan Wetenhall, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Ryan Wetenhall

Hey guys. I have a Sony STR K740-P Receiver with a Pioneer Center speaker. I currently have the center speaker mouned on top of my 27" daewoo flatscreen television. Earlier today I had a blank screen on my TV and noticed a dark spot towards the top of the screen. I lifted the speaker and it went away, so I am guessing that my center pioneer speaker is not shielded. I was wondering if there is any quick fix to this? Any way I can shield it myself? I have a window behind my TV so a shelf isn't really an option.
    Thanks!

-Ryan

2. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

Ryan,
    Are your main speakers also Pioneer? If not then maybe it would be a good chance to get a matching center speaker. That would be the easiest/best fix. I dont know of an easy/long-term fix. Maybe try placing a slab of steel under the center speaker but it seems that over time that will also become magnetized and the problem might return.

3. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

If it is sold as a center speaker it should be shielded. Take it back and get a refund.[​IMG]

4. Ryan Wetenhall

I would return it, but is 5 or so years old. It came in a pioneer bookshelf surround kit which feature the center and two rear surrounds. What do shielded speakers have in them that make them shielded?

5. RickMo

RickMo Stunt Coordinator

Ryan. I've found that "shielded" speakers still create problems for TVs, especially the old CRT-type. Shielded speakers may be better than non-shielded, but they still create some magnetic interference for TVs. There are "bucking" magnets that you can try but I'm not familiar with their success/failure rate. I think I've seen them for sale at partsexpress.com.