What's new

Center speaker thoughts please. (1 Viewer)

joedaddy5771

Agent
I am currently using a definitive technology CLR 2500 powered center with DT XTR-50's as my fronts. Do you think I would be better served with another XTR-50 as my center? I am happy with the sound but just reading allot about keeping your front 3 the same

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Both speakers use the same 1" pure aluminum dome.

I doubt there is much audio difference beyond the flat vs box design of the speakers themselves. If you moved the 2500 to your left or right and put one of your current XTR there to try to see if you'd notice a difference...that is what it would probably take.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I would experiment first. Try listening to some familiar music and process in all channel stereo. Is the sound coming from the front stage seamless, a wall of sound thats really hard to localize? Or can you tell a difference between the mains to center speaker and youre easily able to localize the source of the sound from each speaker? If so change the toe of your mains and see if you can make it sound completely seamless and hard to localize. If you cant make it completely seamless you might benefit.

However its also important to get the same radiation pattern from all the speakers, would you be orienting your new center the same as your mains (Im assuming your mains are vertical)? If your center would be horizontal and your mains vertical Im not sure I would bother. Have you read this post by Big Daddy on why this orientation is significant?

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=89614

Additional reading from audioholics, in case you missed it...

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs

joedaddy5771

Agent
How much do you think the powered sub in the center contributes to the sound? I will experiment but just wanted some input

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would go and listen to several center channels but I might suggest the Definitive Tech CS-8040HD center channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks