Center speaker-suspended from ceiling?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Sorenson, Mar 25, 2002.

1. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

I have a friend about to enter the home theater world. Her entertainment center has no place for a center and it certainly will not support a WEGA TV, nor will the WEGA allow it to sit on top. She had an idea to suspect a shelf from her ceiling to put the speaker on (plus plants). Any disadvantages to such a setup? The center will most likely be a Paradigm center, performance or Studio series.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

how high above the tv will the speaker be?

i imagine, as long as it's not too high and the speaker is aimed towards the listening position, that it should work okay.

alternately, she could put the speaker on the floor and aim it up - that's done all the time.

ted

3. Doug Drake

Doug Drake Stunt Coordinator

I have a 56lb speaker suspended from the ceiling over my RPTV. Actually, it sits on a shelf that is suspended from the ceiling, as home speakers usually aren't designed to support their own weight when hanging. Works great! I put screw hooks into the ceiling joists, then used 125lb test nylon-coated wire rope and thimbles/clamps to secure the wire to the shelf. Probably could have used chain just as easily, but would have been larger.

Doug