What's new

Center speaker-suspended from ceiling? (1 Viewer)

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend about to enter the home theater world. Her entertainment center has no place for a center and it certainly will not support a WEGA TV, nor will the WEGA allow it to sit on top. She had an idea to suspect a shelf from her ceiling to put the speaker on (plus plants). Any disadvantages to such a setup? The center will most likely be a Paradigm center, performance or Studio series.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
how high above the tv will the speaker be?

i imagine, as long as it's not too high and the speaker is aimed towards the listening position, that it should work okay.

alternately, she could put the speaker on the floor and aim it up - that's done all the time.

ted

Doug Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 56lb speaker suspended from the ceiling over my RPTV. Actually, it sits on a shelf that is suspended from the ceiling, as home speakers usually aren't designed to support their own weight when hanging. Works great! I put screw hooks into the ceiling joists, then used 125lb test nylon-coated wire rope and thimbles/clamps to secure the wire to the shelf. Probably could have used chain just as easily, but would have been larger.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks