Center speaker RPTV overhang. What a difference an inch makes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John H, Aug 26, 2001.

1. John H

John H Second Unit

I use a Def Tech C/L/R 3000 ontop of a Pioneer 610.
    The speaker comes with adjustable feet that allowed me to position it flush with the front of the set.
    I installed some new T-nuts 1¼" further back. Now I can extend the speaker beyond the front of the screen by that amount.
    Even though I already use downward tilt this did wonders. Dialog is crisper and more anchored towards the center of the screen. The speaker has opened up and I can hear much more detail. The overall sound has also improved. My front stage has changed dramatically.
    This was not a subtle change in my system.
    I imagine others may or may not experience the same performance improvement depending on the monitor and speaker used.
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Based Theater

2. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

I read about this awhile back and find the center channel does sound better with the overhang to reduce reflection. Took it a step further and installed little rubber feet a week ago; sounds like a completely new speaker [​IMG]

3. Robert G

Robert G Stunt Coordinator

Yep this tweak rates right up there with mattes. My thoughts while I had my speaker level and slightly behind the edge of the screen were "man there is definately sound coming from that speaker". My thoughts now that I have tilted it and let it hang over the front are "man that TV must have some nice speakers built into it". I know, kinda goofy but you get the idea.
    This tweak also helped with issues of having a center that is a couple of feet higher than the mains. Sort of leveled the playing feild so to speak.
    ------------------

4. John H

John H Second Unit

5. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

i use "blue tak" to stick my CC with about a 2" overhang from the RPTV. two little gobs at the front, and two full blocks stacked at the rear to give the tilt.
    stays put, couples the speaker nicly, and wont mar the tv or the speaker.
    (actuallys my blue tak is white, but you guys know the stuff, right?)
    ------------------
    'Till next time,
    Rich (the kite guy)
    My DIY audio page!
    Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks [​IMG]

6. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Anybody try placing the center channel on a stand in front of the TV (not counting Front Projection)?
    Doug
    ------------------
    "Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

7. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

I have a Hales Rev One on a custom built 12" stand in front of my 50" rptv. I have my tv raised about 8" or so, so that the center doesn't block the screen. Placement in free space is great for imaging, esp if your L and R speaker are also in free space (and not flanking a big screen). Furthermore, vertical placement also does wonders.

8. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Doug, I have my CDMCSE center in front of my RPTV on a 24"
    stand and find it images and blends much better with my mains. It brings the tweeter alignment across the front soundstage closer than if the center was placed on top of the RPTV which is very important, IMO.
    [Edited last by Frank_S on August 27, 2001 at 02:06 PM]