What's new

Center Speaker Placement (1 Viewer)

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
One of these days im gonna put my 65" widescreen in another room and get the biggest damn screen i can fit in my theater room and the most ridiculiously expensive projector.......yet im baffled to the moon about where to put the center speaker with a screen that big, lets just call this speaker Mr. Rocket RSC200, now Mr. RSC200 wants to prove he's the greatest center speaker in the world, should i go through a heck of alot of trouble and get a shelf and put it at the very top...or get alittle cute but useless desk under the screen and put it on there, Mr. RSC200 is big for a center speaker but small compared to speaker you see at the bottom of bigscreen tv's, which is kinda discouraging, i dont want to lose my manhood and have a little thing on the ground and say "yep...there it is.....i know what your thinkings, its huge and intimadating" i also dont want the sound to sound like its comming from above me or below me, that's just not cool, not cool at all...is there such thing 2 center speakers in the middle on the top and bottom, Mr. RSC200's wife is in the back but i could get him a brother if that helps???

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I have read about just that problem...

Placing matching centre channel speakers 1 above and 1 below the screen apparently allow you to focus the sound to come from the centre of the screen.

You would need to focus the sound to 'hit' at the exact same point of your listening sweet spot and allow for time delay if the top and bottom are different distances from the listening focal point. I would think that all of this 'focusing' would have to be done post-processing from the receiver.

I suppose that one centre speaker could be placed at either side of the screen as well. This would eliminate the time delay problem, but depending on how big a screen you want, it might affect the placement of your main speakers.

You would have to keep in mind the speaker load difference as well.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Now that I think about it, you could simply mount the top centre channel speaker the same distance to the listening spot as the bottom and eliminate the time delay variable.

I am sure that a mounting bracket could be fabricated to install the top centre speaker out from the wall or down from the ceiling...

That would actually look cool (unless you prefer the invisible speaker approach).

PhilBoy

Second Unit
... and you would have to keep in mind the speaker resistance.

I think two 4 ohm speakers in series will give you an 8 ohm load for your receiver.

Anyone know for sure ?

You could then balance your soundstage with the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks