Center speaker placement question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Josh Cooper, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Josh Cooper

Josh Cooper Auditioning

Hi all,
    I am setting up my first home theater and have a question about center channel placement.

Due to the shape of my living room and location of the TV niche it is not possible for me to have my front speakers anywhere but in the ceiling if I want it to be more than even a couple of degrees to the sides of the TV.

I know the guideline that the front speakers should all at the same height. And the guideline that the center should be as close above the TV as possible. However in this situation I can't have both.

And so the question:
    Is it better to have the center in the ceiling in line with the left and right speakers (9 foot ceilings) or sitting right on top of the TV?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

2. jan/m

jan/m Auditioning

i have a 50 inch tv inside of a entertainment center and the only place to place my center is either on top of the center, which places it approx. 7 feet high, or on a stand directly in front of the tv, approx 2 feet high. i can say w/o any doubts that it sounds much better on the floor. i had it on top of the center for a few years, because it looks much better there. so in my case it sounds better nearest to the level of the left and right spkrs, which looks worse, but worth it for sq.

3. Josh Cooper

Josh Cooper Auditioning

Thank you for the advice jan/m.