What's new

Center speaker placement question ... (1 Viewer)

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings. As I "plan" my furture HT, I wanted to bounce a center speaker question off the forum. I'm considering placing my center speaker at a distance of about 18 1/2" ABOVE my TV. This is purely based on optimizing available shelf space within my Entertainment Cabinet where my TV is housed. If I place the center speaker on top of the TV or on the lowest shelf above my TV, I lose valuable shelf space for my components. My alternative option is to purchase a shelfing system to place my components on, thereby providing the space necessary for the center channel. This option, is not good for me based on space in my apartment. So, this brings me back to Option A ... placing the center speaker on top of the Entertainment Cabinet ... 18 1/2" above the TV. Now, I've visited DOLBY.COM and realize that this is not the "optimum" solution, but, I wanted to see if this is definately NOT a good idea, or, if this can work. I should also note that my front L-R speakers would also be about 20-22 inches below the center in this configuration. Any thoughts ??? Thanks.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Try to keep all three front speakers as close as possible to the same height. I personally find the under-the-TV-screen placement more "natural" sounding than on top of the TV. I suppose this is because most TV's seem to have their speaker either under or on either sides of the TV screen. I have NEVER run across a TV that had the speakers above the screen. I place my center speaker on a small stand butted up against the lower front panel of my rear-projection-TV. The top of the speaker is just below the bottom edge of the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks