Center Speaker placement - OK to turn on end?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by SteveCoug, Jul 26, 2004.

1. SteveCoug

SteveCoug Agent

Jul 16, 2004
    I have very limited space for a center speaker in my new front projector system.

I have two bookcases under my screen with only about 3-4 inches of clearance between the bottom of the screen and the top of the bookcase. I could put a thin center speaker like the Bose VCS-10 on top of the bookcase, but I'm not convinced it would sound very good.

I'm considering the Infinity Alpha 37C or similar-sized center speaker to get better sound quality. The 37C measures 23-3/4"W x 8-13/16"H x 10-3/4"D

I can't lay the speaker on top of the bookcases because it will cover a few inches of the bottom of the screen.

But I do have room between the two bookcases if I turn the speaker on end, so that the side is on the floor rather than the bottom, making the dimensions 23-3/4" High x 8-13/16" Wide.

Is there anything wrong with positioning the speaker that way? The 37C contains four speakers which are designed to be aligned horizontally, with a woofer on each side of the speaker cabinet and a tweeter and midrange in the middle. I don't see why it would make a big difference if one woofer was on the bottom and the other was on the top, since the tweeter and midrange would still be in the middle. Am I wrong?

Please let me know so that I don't order the wrong speakers.

2. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Oct 5, 2000
    "Is there anything wrong with positioning the speaker that way?"

Yes. Dispersion will be screwed up. Don't do it. You'd be better off a woofer tweeter woofer type center in that configuration.