Center Speaker Placement and small TV top - Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al Moodie, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Al Moodie

Al Moodie Extra

Hi,
    I need a little help with my home theater setup.
    I have a Sony53HS20 (53’ RPTV) and I had been looking at Diva
    speakers but have decided against them since the Diva center r weighs
    33lbs and is 10” deep and the top of the Sony is only 6” deep. -
    That brings me to my problem.
    I called Sony service re the weight limit probability and the person
    I spoke to advised that the 53HS20 will support “about” 50lbs if
    the weight is evenly distributed across the set top.
    He suggested this could be done by placing a solid shelf on top of
    the TV - this would add another 5 / 10lbs and with a Diva center
    speaker, would in my opinion probably be too much weight.
    Instead of Diva I then bought an Axiom center, VP150,
    http://www.axiomaudio.com/products.cfm?productID=VP150
    It weighs 21.5lbs and is 26.5 x 7.5 x 7.5.
    This seemed like the ideal size and weight.
    To spread the weight I had a piece of 1/4 inch gray smoked glass
    cut to fit the top of the TV (46.25 x 6 inches) and planned on
    placing the center speaker on top of the glass.
    When I did this two things became apparent:
    One was that the set top had just the very slightest dip in the
    middle and the glass dipped to conform to this. With a white
    wall and some light behind the Sony you can just see that only
    the ends of the speaker are contacting the glass.
    The other problem which I had not noticed is that the TV top
    slopes downward - back to front - at a gradient of 1 in 24.
    This makes it difficult to tilt the speaker down towards the
    seating area and not have it slide off the TV top.
    (I live in earthquake country - California).
    Assuming many members here have had similar problems,
    how did you solve them, (or if you didn’t do you have any
    suggestions re the above. ) ?
    I guess this a really long post but I wanted to be as clear
    as possible.
    B regards,
    Al Moodie

2. Pat K

Pat K Stunt Coordinator

Get some of that heavy duty double sided tape they make to hang mirrors, and get a bunch of velcro..thats what i would do anyway.. (ghetto rig it)

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd recommend buying a product that goes under the search word "monitor shelf" as this is what a friend of mine had to do to his Toshiba for his center channel. He ended up using a book and a rubber door wedge to aim his center channel to the listening position. A picture of what one looks like is at this site though you might find it cheaper elsewhere (I did a yahoo search to find the right string of words):
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/oioffice/ice20690.html

4. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I had a similar weight distribution problem with my B&W LCR6 on top of my Mits 65807 RPTV. I went the glass route, but it sagged in the middle, and the back corners of the glass twisted UP! I ended up going with a suggestion I found by CraigM on the Home Theater Spot . You can read his post and see a picture about halfway down the page. I bought my TV wall-mount from Home Depot, and had a stud to drill into to lock it down. This has worked very well for me!
    Good luck!
    Pete

5. Robert Marc

Robert Marc Stunt Coordinator

Try some of that non-skid rubber "pebble" webbing. It comes in a roll and costs about $3 at Target. Your center will "stick" to the top of the t.v. like it was glued down. That what I did anyways, it works great.[​IMG]

6. Al Moodie

Al Moodie Extra

Robert Gaither -

The computer monitor shelf was one of the first ideas I had until I checked behind my set: In spite of the very narrow (and badly designed top), the back of the Sony 53HS20 falls off at about a 70 degree down angle for the upper 15 or so inches.

Robert Marc -

The rubber webbing sounds like it might be workable. Will check it out later this week.

Pete Jennings -

I had looked at the Home Theater Spot posting a few weeks back and forgotten about it. Although the front of my TV is 3 feet out from the rear wall the wall mount idea is certainly worth while adding to ideas being considered.

On my initial problems noted in my first post:

If I stay with the glass top I'll either use velcro strips or dots to hold it to the TV top. Or, another possibility rather than glass, is to use a dark grey acrylic base which would be lighter than the glass. This could be perhaps two inchen deeper than the TV top with a 1 x 1 inch square rod cemented to the bottom rear of the acrylic 1 inch in from the rear edge. That should stop the acrylic sheet from sliding off of the top of the TV set. To angle the speaker down to the "sweet spot" I could tilt the speaker rear with small rubber stops and use a 1/4 high acrylic strip (or lip) cemented to the front edge of the acrylic. The front and sides of the VP150 center speaker are not at 90 degrees but closer to 45 degrees so a low lip may not work. In that case I will probably try a couple of narrow 1 inch or so vertical blocks in front of the speaker at it's extreme right and left.

(I have posted this on the HT Forum and Yahoo Sony HS120 Forum and 'am still looking for additional suggestions).

Thanks guys,

7. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

I thought I'd throw in what I did after researching the various forums.

I bought 1 piece of 1" X 12" X 59" Red Oak, 2 pieces of 1-1/4" X 6' pieces of angle iron from Home Depot. I cut both pieces of angle iron to 59" (Matches the width of our Mits 65" RPTV) clamped them to the red oak and then drilled, countersunk and screwed them to the red oak. I fitted the angle so that the board basically sat in it. This provided a slight lip on top of both the front and back edges.

I sprayed the whole thing with 3M spray adhesive and then wrapped it with speaker fabric from Parts Express. I placed 3 clear rubber bumpers on each outside edge of the RPTV and placed the shelf on top. My center channel weighs about 45 lbs and the shelf didn't budge when I put the speaker on it, plus it blended well with both the TV and Center channel.

It took a little bit of work, but now I have no concerns about the middle of the TV sagging.

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Al,

The easy way to get around the sloping back of a TV is to buy a threaded rod of the appropriate size/thread matching and cut it to the size that you will need. That was what my friend had to do for his Toshiba and it worked like a charm.