Center Speaker - Paradigm

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chuck_K, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Chuck_K

Chuck_K Extra

Hi All,
    I'm in the process obtaining speakers for a 5.1 HT system. I have not yet purchased the center speaker. Due to budget, I am constrained with purchasing used speakers. So far, I have a pair of Paradigm 9semk3 for the fronts, and a set of 7semk3 for the rears. I also have a pair of NHT SW2 subs.

Here's the qaundry I'm in. I've read numerous times that one should choose a center speaker that matches the timbre of the fronts. I assume this would be a Paradigm CC-300 which has drivers identical to my fronts. I have had some difficulty finding this model, and have seen a CC-470 that looks really really nice. Its drivers however are updated, and significantly different from my fronts. I believe the CC-470 has gotten very good reviews.

Do I dare violate the matching rule and purchase this beautiful CC-470?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Chuck,

I have a feeling tha the CC-470 might overwhelm your system. However, if you were going to replace your other two front speakers within the very near future, it might be a wise choice to go with. However, if you plan on keeping your 9SEMK3s, then you might consider shopping for a used CC-300. you could check out eBay to see if any are available.

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

The 470 is from the Studio line and will probably be noticeably different in sound quality. I find a used one(CC-300) to match up with the rest of your system.

4. Chuck_K

Chuck_K Extra

You have both confirmed what I thought. I think the cc-470 would most likely make me want to upgrade to studio fronts. That might be a good thing but...If I did that my wife would probably want to kill me...I think I'll wait for a cc-300.

BTW - I've purchased a lot of audio equipment on ebay. My taste in equipment has allways exceeded what my wallet could afford new. ebay for me is a treasure trove for audio/ht stuff. Speakers are allways a risk though due to there weight. Best bet for ebay speakers I think is from a seller using original boxes or pickup (most ideal).

WayneO - your gear is awsome! is that a cc-370? I don't recall a paradigm center with the tweater offset as much as yours...

Thanks again for the advice!!

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Chuck, since you're asking for specific-model advice about purchasing a center-channel speaker, I've moved your thread to the Speakers/Subs area. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thanks.

6. NickScott

NickScott Stunt Coordinator

Chuck, your story sounds near to my old story. I have Paradigm 11semk3 fronts, 9semk2 rears and a cc-300 center. I took me 4 months to find one anywheres, and I ended up getting it on ebay for about $200. I love my system and just went up to 7.1. The rears that I just bought came with a center(package deal from the classifieds) that I need to sell. Its a CC-150.

So try to get a cc-300, you will love it, but good luck finding one. If you want my cc-150, let me know and we can talk.

Scott.

7. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Thanks. If it does look more offset than usual, it might be because I have it upside down to keep the tweeters across the front three speakers as close as possible.

8. Chuck_K

Chuck_K Extra

Jack - Sorry, newbie still getting use to the site/format.

Nick - I'm really glad I held off bidding on the cc-470 especially after reading your post. I'm impressed with the cc-300 specs (esp low end) and will just be patient. I think I'll pass on the 150 but thank you very much for the offer.

9. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

10. Chuck_K

Chuck_K Extra

Thanks WayneO. I'm in. Wish me luck...