Center Speaker, or Sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Johnal, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    Hi Everyone,
    I have recently purchased ascend's l/r 340's and they should be arriving on the 15th. Due to a budget I am having to decide between getting a subwoofer (VTF-2) or the 340c (center speaker). I know they are very differeny in price, but I really am only able to shell out enough for one or the other. I guess if i got the sub I could just watch movies in phantom mode till i get the center... but people also say that the center is really important for HT. If I go for the center, i want to make sure to add that to my order before they get shipped out, so any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Johnal

2. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I say if you watch mostly movies to go with the Center Channel. I lived without a dedicated sub for several years. It really improves the ability to hear the dialog in a movie and in my opinion is essential, I tried the phantom center and was never pleased with the sound. And I say buy the Dayton 10" sub for ~ $100 bucks, thats what I bought and its good sound will hold you over until you can afford the more expensive sub.

3. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    Thank you so much for your quick response. That is a pretty good idea to get the Dayton sub. Maybe it will make me appreciate the VTF-2 that much more when I get it. [​IMG]

-Johnal

4. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

The Dayton sub is not bad at all, sounds very good IMHO. Okay so yea there is a little more bass down low that you will miss but seriously the little Dayton can reallly liven up a movie. I watched Finding Nemo last night and could actually feel the bass for the first time ever. I am very impressed as I have a huge open room! Heck for the price I am seriously cosidering picking up another one and seeing what that will do for me.

5. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

I hate to add to your dilemma, but I would definitely get the sub before the center speaker. I got a center speaker first, and I should have gotten the sub. It makes much more of an impact and works for music as well as movies, whereas a center speaker is generally not very useful for music.

6. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I agree the sub can have a greater inpact with movies. I ran my system without a sub for a while I was upgrading. The sub added a lot! However, I think the suggestion of getting the Dayton sub and the 340c is the best one. The Dayton will give you most of the effects at a very low cost. When you can afford the VTF-2, you can keep the dayton as a second sub and have even more impact!

7. Rick Cohen

Rick Cohen Agent

I would get the sub. You can either use phantom which is fine in the sweet spot. Offcenter listening does not work as well. An alternative is get the sub and pick up a cheap center channel. It will get you the dialog for movies and when listening to music you will still have the sub and will not use the center channel. You would be surprised that you can get a center channel that will work reasonably well for less than $100. I saw a radio shack the other day on sale for $49. Not great but it will fill the middle in for you.

Rick