Center speaker or sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by HienD, May 2, 2003.

1. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a set of jamo e410 speakers to use with my new pioneer vsx-d711 receiver. I was wondering which speaker should I get. The matching e4 center speaker or the matching e4 sub. I can only afford one at this moment. I probably won't be able to get them both cause they're are discontinued and clearance priced right now. Keepping in mind, the center channel speakers seems like they it's regular price. I thought the sub sounded pretty good for a 8" 70watt sub priced @ $130.(for music anyways). If I get the sub now, I'll probably spend $150 on a suround package with center and rear speakers. I'll be listenning to music and playing games with them 3/4 of the time and movies the rest. To anyone intrested, the e410 speakers did sound fairly good compared to the klipsch bookself speaker priced 3x the amount. The klipsch had a slightly more detailed and warmer sound. But I kinda like the brighter, fuller sound of the jamos. Course I'd pick the klispch over the jamos if they were priced the same.

thanks

2. Todd Alexander

Todd Alexander Stunt Coordinator

I've always heard it is best to match the speakers in your system, especially the front and center speakers. Personally, I think you would get more 'wow' factor with a sub. subs are the most fun speaker to buy. But... since they are discontinuing the center, I would take the opportunity to get the center and have a matched set of speakers. The sub can be great, made by any company. If you wait a few months and get a sub, it will be with your matched speakers and in the long run, I think you'll be most happy. So if you are looking ahead and planning, I would get the center, then save up for a great sub that will tie everything together. Enjoy!

3. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Are you going to be able to pick up the matching center channel later if it is being discontinued? I'd get the center to make sure everything is timbre matched across the front. You can use a different sub without a problem but you don't want a CC that is voiced differently from your mains. Mixing speakers for the surrounds isn't going to be as noticeable as different speakers in the front as sound effects go across the front three.

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

I agree with the above posts. I will also add that you may want to save for a sub that likely has deeper extension and more power for movies than the 8" 70W unit you mention (I'm guessing based on the size, as I have never heard that sub before; I also don't know the size of your room).

Doug

5. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, I'm gonna pick up the center speaker. Or mabe I should pick up the e430 floor speakers and use one of the e410's as a center speaker. They use the same drivers and size of the unit is the only difference. The e430 speakers are the same price as the center channel. I'll see if the e410 are shielded first and if he'll budge on the price of the center. Thanks