What's new

Center Speaker On Top of RPTV (1 Viewer)

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I'll be picking up a JVC 56FN97 HD-ILA TV tomorrow, and my only concern right now is the placement of my center channel speaker. I have a relatively heavy Energy Veritas 2.0 (not the 2.0c actual center speaker) that weighs about 22 lbs. I think the speaker is too big for the stand that comes with the TV, so I can't place it below, and I rent, so I can't build onto the wall. I'm hoping to use one of these:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OmniM...oductDetail.do

It says it can hold up to 30 lbs., but my concern is that the weight of the speaker will stress the front/top of the screen frame. I thought if I pushed the speaker back on the shelf a couple of inches it might distribute the weight back a little away from the edge. Any thoughts on this or on alternatives? A separate shelf on the floor in front is probably not possible.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
How wide is it?

I am guessing that you would be safe only if all of the legs of the shelf unit touch the TV top only within 3 inches of the left edge and within 3 inches of the right edge. And provided also that the TV cabinet sides go all the way to the floor as opposed to a wide screen section sitting on a narrower base with speakers inside. If the TV consists of a base, say, two feet narrower and the top section overhanging a foot on each side, you may not construct and use a shelf whose feet contacted the TV top one foot in from each side either.

You could make your own shelf from a long narrow board. Lengthwise ribs would be needed underneath to keep it from bowing, and feet would be needed so that the ribs themselves do not touch the TV top in the middle.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Bepaof8

Agent
Real Name
Pete
I have a JVC HD-61FN97, and my CC-370 Paradigm (25 lbs) has been mounted on an Omnimount for about 60 days. No sign of any sagging. (the frame of the tv screen certainly doesn't seem flimsy enough to sag)

Pete

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Excellent. I was also worried that the slope of the TV would be too extreme for the rear legs, but it looks as though this is my solution. Thanks for the info.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Fortuneately, I have enough room under my TV stand for my CC-370 Paradigm Center Channel. A set-up like you are getting would be too tempting and too dangerous with the two curious cats we have, that are in my avatar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks