Center speaker on the floor?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Kline, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

I've seen a few recent diagrams/photos in some magazines where the center speaker seems to be on the floor, and sort of aimed up a bit at where your head would be when you're sitting in the sweet spot.

Has anyone done/tried this? I have my center on top of my tv and sometimes it does kinda feel like the sound is "above" me sort of.. wondering if puting the center below the tv would help at all.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I did this when my furniture situation was in flux. I did notice that the reflections from the top of the TV and ceiling were gone, but I have cats....Besides, it was as if I was listening to 10 inch tall actors. I like it at or above eye level, and aimed down at my head.

Enjoy

3. GregBarron

GregBarron Agent

My center speaker rests on the floor while slightly tilted to aim at the sweet spot and I have no complaints whatsover. I sit approx. 17ft away from the speaker.

Greg

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I built a 2ft. stand to put my center just below the screen of the TV, and built just the right amount of angle to position it to fire exactly at ear level.

Since I have done this the dialog is completely anchored to the screen.

In my situation it was important that I do this because I sit 7 ft. from my center speaker, and when positioned on top of the TV, dialog seemed to come from above, not too bad when angled at the sweet spot, but the stand made a world of difference for me.

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Tim: I found that movie dialogue greatly improved when i moved my center down off the top of the Tv and onto the ground. Here is a pic of it on this page: http://www.kgjack.com/christmas.htm

6. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

well, my room is small, so the sweet spot is around 5-6 feet away from the tv. Would it be better if I had the center right under the TV like that then? I tried keeping it on top and aiming it down a little but it didn't make any difference that I could tell...

7. Sean Conklin

John, that little stand is similar to mine, except mine is just a tad taller. Nice set up you got there BTW!

8. Tom Tubbiola

Tom Tubbiola Stunt Coordinator

Where can I find a stand like the ones pictured? I need one big enough for a Klipsch C7.

If it sounds good it will solve a big problem I had with center channel placement.

Thanks,

Tom

9. Sean Conklin

Tom, I'm pretty sure Best Buy or Circuit City has these small stands, if not outright, I saw a speaker stand kit at BB a while back.

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Tom: If you are talking about my center channel stands as seen in the picture, they are Lovan Jazz 600 stands. I am using both stands, side by side, since it gives the horizontal center speaker a more stable platform. I am also now gonna trying a pair of Lovan Ballet III 15" stands. To see if getting the speaker even further from the floor improve the sound even more.