What's new

center speaker (newbie) (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
I have my HT setup and I love it. Theres only one thing I would change. The center speaker. Rght now I have this crappy Pioneer that came with these surround speakers I dont even use. I think it was like $100 for all 3 speakers.I know that its hindering my chances at optimum sound.
Problem is, im a college student with barely any money. Whats the center speaker with the most "bang for the buck"?"
Good ones for around $100? $200?
Please let me know. Ive searched on eBay, but i dont erally know whats good and not.
Thanks for your input

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Anthony,
It is of upmost importance to voice match (same drivers) your center speaker to your mains. This will give you identical sound across your front sound stage. It's nearly impossible to timbre match speakers that are made by different manufacturers.
That said, this may not be an option on your budget. However, your center channel, IMO, is THE most important speaker in your system. You may want to cruise around to your local dealers and listen to what they have in stock. Choose the best sounding speaker to your ears, and then search e-bay.
It is a good idea to have in mind what you may want to upgrade your mains to in the future. That way, you could get the matching center for them and do the mains at a later date.
Jeremy

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Well, my front speakers are like 20 years old. Theyre Fischers. I would upgrade them, but they just sound too great. So, I dont think I can find a good center made by them, if they even make speakers anymore.
Any other suggestions for my price range?
Thanks for the input.

JerryHatchett

Stunt Coordinator
Anthony, I was using a Bose satellite system (what they called their "Ultimate Home Theater" package) for several years and became unhappy with the lack of robust sound as well as the extreme directional nature of the speakers.
I shopped around a lot and wound up picking up some Wharfedale speakers on uBid that vastly improved the sound of my system. They're not what I want long term, but they are a vast improvement over what I had. I have Valdus 500 towers for mains, and a Wharfedale center channel speaker that matches. I think I wound up getting all 3 for around $300 on uBid. They're pretty dang nice speakers for that kind of money, and they make regular appearances on uBid and eBay but you really have to watch the shipping on uBid because it's obviously a huge part of their profit model.
I'm not sure these are the best that are out there within your budget, but they're pretty good. I'm sure others will speak up with other options.
Jerry

Tom Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
You might try it in phatom mode (no center) with the correct imaging of your fronts and if you sit in the sweet spot it can sound very good. The farther you get from the sweet spot the more the center helps anchor the dialogue.
------------------
There can be only one!
My DVDs

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i think 200 bucks will get you a really decent center speaker.
i used to work at both gg & cc and although i can't remember the models anymore, i know there were some decent speakers at that range.
i wish i could recommend some brands for you, but i'm just not current with what's out there. fwiw i have a polk cs275 that i really like. now that i think about it, i think it retailed right around 200.
i bet if you go into any consumer electronic store or even some high-end shops, you'll be surprised at what you can afford.
btw - i like jeremy's recommendation to consider what you may be using for mains & surrounds when choosing. i bet when you hear some of the new speakers that are out there, you'll be thinking about replacing those fischers.
good luck and have fun auditioning. it's a blast...
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks