Center speaker? How important?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin Walmsley, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Colin Walmsley

I have a denon 1603 with jbl studio speakers (38's and 26's) and I think it sounds great.. How important is a center speaker to setup? Will I notice a big difference in the sound quality of dvd's, or even 5.1 channel stereo music? Im just wondering whether or not it's worth it to get one now. Im pretty new to this and can use all the help I can get. Thanks.

2. Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse Stunt Coordinator

The center is used to anchor dialoge (etc) in the center. If you always sit in the sweet spot it's not totally necessary. Some people (myself included) feel it's better to not have the center if this is the case. If you use a center make sure it is a good one. It should be timbre matched to the mains. An inadaquate center can do more harm than good.

I use a center in my setup, but often turn it off when watching alone.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I agree with what has been said. It is important because it does anchor the dialogue to the screen but don't skimp on it because not only does it contain the majority of the dialogue, it contains a large chunk of the sound effects in the front soundstage. By all means try to match it with the main speakers as well.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For movies and multi-channel music, a good center is a must. You WILL notice a difference.

5. Colin Walmsley

Thanks for the help.. I think im gonna order the s-center later today.