What's new

Center Speaker Help (1 Viewer)

losmags

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hello everyone. Newbie here. I've recently started checking out similar forums, and was recommended to check this one out and state my problem. Here goes!

BACKGROUND
I know next to nothing about home theater audio. So there's my background.

THE PROBLEM
I'll be mounting a large LCD over my fireplace, which I likely won't be using often (the fireplace, that is). I should state that this--for reasons not getting into--is where the TV *must* be placed.

I've acquired a set of B&W 602 S3 surround speakers and a receiver/amp. I'll have two speakers on the floor on either side of the fireplace, and two surround speakers somewhere in the rear of the room. (Oh yeah, and a bass module somewhere in the room.)

The problem is the center speaker. It's unfortunately too big to mount above/below the TV without being EXTREMELY awkward/obtrusive.

It was suggested that I clean out the fireplace, paint it black on the inside, and set up a small stand for the center speaker. I've seen people put candles and other decorations in the fireplace, and several people have said the speaker in the fireplace wouldn't be too odd, but I'd rather not go that route if possible.

THE (DESIRED) SOLUTION
I would like to get a new center speaker to mount below the TV. I've seen some that are fairly small by Bose and KEF. The problem I've been told is if I use a different center speaker, it may sound odd working with the B&W's that I have.

So, is anyone familiar with the B&W's and know of a mountable center speaker from another company that could adequately complement the rest of the system?

Again, the TV's going to be where it's at, and the rest of the speakers are going to be what they are. I'm hoping someone here has a recommendation that fits these unfortunately tight constraints.

Thanks in advance! From the little I've seen so far on these boards, it seems like a cool community.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
That is correct. The center must match the other two front speakers, to be timbre matched, and sound as it should. But of course, you can do as you please. Another option is to go into the receiver's setup menus, and set the center speaker to "none" or "off", whichever the wording is. This will create a "Phantom" center. The two main speakers will make it sound like there's a center speaker, like listening to stereo and hearing the singer's voice in the middle, between the two speakers.

I noticed you mentioned a "bass module", instead of subwoofer. Please tell me you're not using a Bose bass module? Don't embarrass the B&Ws, and the rest of your system, by using anything Bose! Bose is not regarded to be worthwhile in a home theater setup.

If you *must* put the tv over the fireplace, then you must. But I definitely would not use the fireplace as a place for a fire. The ideal height for a tv is for the center of the screen to be eye level, when you're sitting down.
Good luck with your system.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Ed's suggestion about the phantom center is a good one. My only concern in your situation would be that it could sound kind of funny with the speakers so far below the TV. I would have to test it out to be convinced it would work effectively in that setup.

Did you buy the B&Ws from a dealer? If so, you might consider seeing if you could swap them out for something from B&W VM or FPM line or some of their in-wall speakers. They actually have some 6-series in-walls that might tibmre-match your speakers in which case you could possible use the in-wall for your center and keep your current speakers for left/right.

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry
Put the base module in the fireplace. Then start a fire to warm up while you do some internet shopping for some speakers that will really compliment your situation. If the tv *must* go over the fireplace, then you sir *must* invest a little to make it worthwhile. With a little research and creativity, you may end up happy with your tv up there (as long as your neck doesn't cramp from looking up when you watch it!).

losmags

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Sorry, I'm not too savvy when it comes to the lingo. By "bass module," I meant a speaker/unit/box-type-thing dedicated for bass, but it's the matching B&W thingy.

So, at least now the bass is not a problem ;)

The "phantom" route may be the way to go. I bought the speakers from someone at work sort of in haste, having not researched things beforehand. It's a fault.

I'm stuck with the speakers. What I may do is just try to sell them and get something else.

But, if at all possible, finding a suitable wall-mounted center speaker would be ideal.

Thanks for the cool input so far
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
...additional input is welcome!

losmags

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
How would a B&W VM6 work as a center channel alongside 602 S3 left and right speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks