Center Speaker For Rear Center

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Allen Marshall, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

Just to be sure, do you use a center speaker for the rear center in 6.1 or like a bookshelf or something. I always figured if you put a bookshelf as the 6th channel it would sound..skinny or thin.

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Allen,

Either should work. I would think the important thing is to timbre match them with your surrounds.

-Robb

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Allen,

In reality, center speakers are designed primarily for aesthetics – i.e., too look good sitting in top of a TV. As a result of their unique design, they are seldom a perfect match for your L/R speakers. Actually the best center speaker is one that’s identical to your front speakers.

You can probably guess where I’m going with this: A center channel speaker is not the best choice for a rear speaker. Get another one identical to your other speakers – or at least identical to your other rear speakers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

This is what i was gonna do when i get new speakers. Since my next upgrade will be a huge one i'll get fronts and a center, and most likely wont have the heart to get rears that match the fronts (noticeable difference isnt worth the money to me). So i was gonna put my Athena AS-F2 floorstandings as rears and use the Athena AS-C1 as the rear center. Cant wait for that day, havin floorstandings all around is gonna make me feel alittle inferior.

5. douglas-b

douglas-b Stunt Coordinator

Douglas Berry
    I'm running Paradigm Atoms as my rears and we called them (Paradigm) and they said it would be better to use a "center channel" (CC-70) speaker instead of another Atom.

6. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I'm by no means an expert but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Another atom would match perfectly, not to mention it would be easier to mount somewhere. Also, the CC-70s drivers really only match up to the Micros I think (and the Micros are now discontinued I believe).

The only problem would be finding a place to buy a single atom.