center speaker for old Cerwin Vegas

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Hunt, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Jeff_Hunt

Jeff_Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Here's the dilemma: I have a friend that isn't truly a home theater buff, but he enjoys surround sound. He's using someone else's Denon AVR3300 receiver to run two old Cerwin Vega AT-12's as left and right and a pair of Bose (I know, now shaddup) 201 bookshelf speakers in the rear. We've hooked up a truly awful old modular TV speaker for the center channel, and it works, but not so well.
    Soooo, his birthday is coming up and I really want to get him a decent center channel without breaking the bank. I've seen some from Cerwin Vega, but I wonder if they'll even match his speakers since they're so old.
    Does it really matter at this point or should I just get him something good and affordable, like the JBL N-center or possibly something from Home Theater Direct? The thinking there being maybe he could upgrade speakers to match the center channel and add a subwoofer someday if he really cares.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jeff Hunt
    http://www.jeffhunt.org
    (I need a job!)

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If he's not an HT freak, it doesn't really matter. What you need to try to match is the tweeter, the midrange will be much less noticable.