Center Speaker Dilemma

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by russ_hudson, Mar 14, 2003.

1. russ_hudson

russ_hudson Auditioning

My current center speaker is a Sony SS-CN109 to go along with my Sony SS-U481AV front speakers (rear speakers are also Sony). My receiver is a JVC VBK7000 and my subwoofer is an Infinity Interlude IL100. The sound is pretty good except for the the center channel....very weak sound. I am looking at moving away from the Sony speakers in the future but can't go out anytime soon and just replace them all. I would like to start by replacing the center channel, but it sounds like if I go away from Sony the sound of the new center may not mesh well with my front speakers. Does anyone have any advice or know a manufacturer's center that might sound good with my Sony's? Thanks in advance.

2. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I would sell all those Sony speakers, use those funds and whatever other budget you have and buy yourself a good pair of main speakers, and start from there. Or buy something like the Energy Take 5 package or the Paradigm Cinema speakers if your interest is solely HT.

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Russ, if your center speaker already sounds noticably weaker than the rest of your system, you really aren't getting a good match today anyway. If replacing everything at once isn't an option, I would suggest you pick a brand and start upgrading piece by piece. If you're happy with your IL100, you might want to start with Infinity.