Center speaker crackels/pops on 5.1 DD on Zeppelin DVD.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Tucker, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

New Zeppelin dvd plays great in DTS, but in DD 5.1 my center channel is making poping, ticking weird sounds. Tried it at work on a Krell Stack and had same noises. Any one else experience this.

Scott

2. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I had the same problem one disc 1. Disc 2 sounded fine though.

3. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I have a few discs where this occurs. Parts of Buffy Season 6 R2 for ex... Basically methinks the signal was recorded to hot (loud) and in digital land you wind up with the crackling as unlike when you "record in the reds" in analog to get a warm saturated sound, when recorded to loud, all you get is the nasty distortion.

[​IMG] D

edit: I just read on a site that the DD trk. was mastered 5db higher than the DTS...

makes sense..

4. john gilson

john gilson Auditioning

I noticed the same clicks/static (whatever name one feels best) in the center channel of the 5.1 DD channel on the Zepplin DVD (just the first disc...the second disc sounds fine). As there are other alternatives (I prefer the PCM stereo) this doesn't bother me too much. Still, I always hope for bug free software.

It has been a while since I listened to the DD channel, but as I recall it, the clicks had 'some' locality to the music that was playing but it wasn't strong. It wasn't as if 'loud' sounds had clicks and quiet didn't. But I have no knowledge of digital mastering...and its peculiarities.

All in all, I love this disc. Yes it would be nice if the clicks weren't there. But this disc has easily become my favorite concert disc if for nothing else, the ability to see
    this band at its prime. My birth was poorly timed to see this before now. [​IMG]

john gilson

5. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

The DVD should be recalled. There is no excuse for releasing it with a Dolby Digital track that is so obviously flawed. The industry is releasing too many titles with stupid mistakes. Here's a radical idea: quality control. Watch and listen to the DVD before releasing it!

6. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

I agree with you StephenL. How could something like this go unnoticed? Sorry you all are experiencing the same thing, however it's nice to know i am not crazy. guess i will just listen to the DTS version.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I also mentioned this in an earlier thread located here. The disc should be recalled and remastered.

Regards,