Center Speaker Choice

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark C Wagner, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Mark C Wagner

Mark C Wagner Auditioning

I have what one might consider a moderately okay home theater. Half-way mid range receiver, Onkyo TX-700, a couple yester-year liquid cooled main speakers, a 12" velodyne sub. But my center and rear surrounds are radio shack cheapies.

I have been doing all sorts of research and reading the past couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to what to look for in a center speaker and the rear speakers.

I really am most interested in the center speaker for now. Have between $400.00 and $600.00 to play with and hoping that is enough to get something I would be happy with.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Or just point me somewhere to read up on some more info.

Thanks !!

2. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

It would be difficult for someone to recommend a center speaker for you due to your use of the "yesteryear front speakers". In an ideal situation your center speaker would match your front speakers so that there would be a seamless transition of sound from left to center to right.
    If you have a retailer with a good return policy then try taking a few center speakers home to hear how they sound with your front speakers.
    As far as the rear speakers go its not as important to match the fronts as it is for the center.

3. Mark C Wagner

Mark C Wagner Auditioning

Thanks for your input Bill. My fronts are Acoustic Reference Studio Monitor 1201 (Liquid Cooled-Poly) I don't know much about these speakers, they are 7-9 years old, and I was basically given these. I have been told they are very good speakers, but I just don't know. They do sound good and are quite capable of handling just about anything I throw at them.

I have tried finding some info. about these speakers on the net, but to no avail.

Thanks for your advice !!

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Interesting problem Mark, as everything sounds best if your front speakers are timbre matched (as Bill notes).

Auditioning at stores won’t help, because you need to listen to any possible center with your speakers. Normally, in your price range I would recommend the center that I just bought a few months back, the Rocket RSC200. At $600 it is a very fine value at that price point—and certainty the best looking that I’ve seen (again at that price).

But (and this is a big but), this center channel has a very decided sound, especially from the Vifa tweeter. You might not be pleased with how it blends in with Acoustic Research speakers.

You could order one and try it for 30 days—although you would be out the shipping if you returned it. You might call one of the guys at AV123 and get their opinion. I’ve met both Sean and Steve and they are quite knowledgeable and might be able to advise you on a possible match (or conflict). Their speakers can be seen
    here.