What's new

Center SPeaker cause burn in on TV w/o color distortion? (1 Viewer)

I bought an Infinity Entra 2 center speaker re-manufactured off ebay. I put it on top of my sharp 32" flat screen, and after about 6 months, I noticed 2 bright lines underneath, slightly to the outside of where the woofers in my center speaker. They went all the way to the bottom of the tv's pic, and the burn-in never healed. I never noticed any discoloration on the tv and couple of times, when I first got the speaker, it sent horizontal lines down my tv when a scene got loud.

Does this sound like burn-in from the center speaker?

My front speakers(crappy panasonic htib speakers, supposedly shielded, not too sure however)were at one point about 4" from my tv, but then I moved them to about 15" to 20" away because I thought I may have seen a little discoloration.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Yes you can get strange lines on the screen from the center speaker. Take the center speaker away, far away, and then continue watching TV normally* for about a week to see if the lines or streaks go away.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

* about ten turn ons and turn offs with about an hour between each.

I did take it away and the burn-in was permanent. I want to get the speaker fixed at the service center(it is under warranty), but is the problem with my center speaker fixable? Can I really trust it when I buy a new tv?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about whether the speaker problem is fixable. This is not a malfunction. It might be possible to put an external modification on the speaker. That requires a magnetism expert.

If the TV is "expensive" you might see if a serviceman with a degaussing coil could correct the streaks left behind in the picture. Again, no guarantees.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It would probably be a hard thing to press much with the speaker manufacture. I'm not sure how shielded, shielded really means... I have never seen a minimum standard or anything on magnetic emmisions.

It does sound like you may just have some CRT gun burn in, even beyond the shielding or lack there of issue though.

It seems if it is minor burn, maybe you could run some sort of test white pattern for an extended period of time, and maybe even it up some perhaps?

I have now caught 3 different supposedly shielded center speakers, that were not shielded enough, but caught it pretty early on for the owners as to not cause any permanent damage. So it is best to beware, and really scrutinize the shielding on any given close to the display speaker for emissions, by moving it next to and back away from the display while observing the picture closely.

How can I make sure the speaker won't hurt the new tv I am going to buy, when I never even noticed any problems until after the burn in occurred on my old tv? Shouldn't I be able to see some sort of color changes(as in red, green, or blue) because of it being unshielded, and not just sneakily creating burn in?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Generally if you move the speaker to the display and away from the display while you have some source running and watch it very closely, you will be able to detect it.

Thanks John.

Could you recommend a safe distance to mount my center channel above my tv without any chance that the magnets would have any effect on my tv?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Gosh, if it is barely detectable, I would think even 6" should be enough. If it is really bad when you check for it, I'd get a different center to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks