Center Speaker Angle

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Br, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Bob Br

Bob Br Agent

I recently purchased a Paradigm Studio 6.1 setup including a Studio/CC center channel. With my current entertainment center, I was forced to place the CC approx. 8" above the TV. The speaker is built to project upward about 5 degrees off vertical. In reading through various threads and articles, it appears that the "tweeter at ear height" philosphy for the front speakers is the way to go and my L/R speakers are set up that way. My base question is "should I angle my CC such that the front face of the speaker is pointing directly at the prime seating spot ear level?". There are no seats behind the prime position. If I've done my math right, I would need to lift the back of the speaker up 3 inches to accomplish. If this turns out to be the best way to go, what could I use to obtain that height securely. Any help you can give is appreciated.

Bob

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi bob! congrats on your new speakers. you pretty much have it right. the normal convention in your scenario is to "aim" the tweeters right at your head! [​IMG]
    i've never had to do this so i can't really say what the best method is, but i hear many people like to use those rubber door stops. they allow adjustment all the way up the incline to achieve the perfect angle.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Ditto that.

Many of us that have front projection setups have a similar problem because we have no TV to put the centre speaker on top of. I used a short stand and angled the speaker upward so it would point to ear level while seated.

4. Chuck_C

Chuck_C Stunt Coordinator

My center speaker sits on top of my RPTV and has a adjustable rear leg that lets me angle it down to the listening position. Check your height needed and build a block for the speaker's back or a 'ramp' for it to sit on. Or just shove some old books back there for the time being while you are testing it out.

5. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

6. Bob Br

Bob Br Agent

Gentlemen,
    Thanks for your quick and very helpful advice![​IMG] I appreciate your response and can't wait to redirect the speaker. This is just way too much fun.
    Bob

7. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I just bought a set of Parad including the CC-170 which I think is also tilted upwards. If it's not aimed right, is it ok to put it upside down so that it aims downwards instead?

8. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

Bob,
    I have the same issue with the system I am setting up. I have an Axiom HT system, and one of their engineers answered my similar question by saying that the height of the center wouldn't be a problem if I were to angle it toward the listening position. He also mentioned that I should strive to position the mains within 24" in height from the center if possible. This is to keep all the imaging working in my favor. If the 24" thing couldn't be accomplished, at least the center would be pointed at the listening position and your mains sound like they're at the right height for your listening position.
    While browsing for some speaker stands that will allow me to accomplish these goals (Lovan Caliber adjustable), I found this for the center channel:
    http://www.discounts-n-deals.com/aca...tor_46 3.html . I have a close-up of this in the Lovan Catalog, and it looks pretty slick. Lovan's site is at:Lovan's Center Director at their site . It is adjustable in the rear, and it has two "lower lips" to hold your center channel in place. It's a bit pricey at the first site, but their prices are very good on the stands versus all the other sites/local stores I've checked into. I imagine their price on the director is in line or better than most.
    Hope this helps!

9. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

Bob et al,

I didn't scroll through all the posts until after I submitted... I see Dave sent the same info. Have a good one, and enjoy the systems everyone!