What's new

Center Question With Pictures (1 Viewer)

Hal

Grip
I am torn twixt a pair of Klipsch RB-25's and a RC-25 center or a pair of B&W DM 602's and a LCR60 S3 center. The B&W's will cost a lot more but I think I like the sound of them better.

The Klipsch center is front ported but the B&W is back ported. Will placing the B&W in the shelf I plan to use be screwing the pooch?

Actually I was FINE with my old Zenith and Kenwood setup but as you can see Old Tuna Breath..ah, MERLIN wanted to improve his viewing experience...

These pictures can be viewed FULL size by clicking them repeatedly...

http://Alaskawolf.fotopic.net/c458846.html

Wolf

Daniel.Han

Stunt Coordinator
Are you speaking about a new set of 602s? Because if you are they are front ported. I happened to own a pair of them until about 6 months ago (that's when the upgrade bug hit me). I personally really enjoy the B&W sound, much more pleasent to listen to than Klipsch, in my opinion. Speaking of which, coming from experience, if you have the money you should get at least the center one level higher than the 60, it is currently still the 600 I believe, you will be disappointed in the long run if you don't.

Oh, and to save the question from coming up, after looking at the 704s and the 805s I decided to not get another set of B&Ws and I went with a pair of Thiel cs2.4s

Hope this helps.

dh

Hal

Grip
Yes, the new 602's. But the LCR60 S3 center is a REAR port design. I intend on placing the new center in the shelf seen in the photos. And I'm really stretching if I go this route. Why do you feel that center would disappoint? I very much appreciate your hands/ears on honest critique!

I could get that Klipsch set and center for $380 but the 602's alone are $550 to me. Merlin is going to have to make do with Tender Vittles instead of Tuna fillets for the next month as it is.

Wolf

Daniel.Han

Stunt Coordinator
When I decided to get a center I did a whole lot of audtioning between the lrc60 and the cdm cnt, which was actually 2 steps above the 600 (has since been replaced by the 7 series equivelent). After listening to only a little music and movies it was obvious that the 60 just wasn't able to keep up with the 602s. I realize that they are in the same line and there are probably people who are perfectly happy with their lcr60, but for me, it made a huge difference in sound quality to spend a bit more and get a speaker that had little more range and refinement to it. If you are really set on getting the B&Ws I would suggest getting the 602s for now, forgoing the center, and then get 600 once you have a bit more money laying around, I promise you won't regret it.

dh

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator
I agree wholeheartedly with Daniel on the LCR60. It does not match the 602's!! I actually had the older CC6 center and decided my system sounded much better with the center channel being played through the 602's. I have listened to the LCR60 as well, (LCR60 replaced the CC6) and I did not hear much difference between that and the CC6.

Daniel, I am interested in your opinion of how the 602's sounded with the CDM center channel? The LCR600 is just so fronking huge, I was planning on going with the CDM center as an upgrade over the CC6.

Thanks.

Hal

Grip
Well now I have pretty much decided to order a pair of Klipsch RB-35's and a RC-35 center. I can get them for what a pair of 602's alone will cost me.

Thanks to all who replied! Now I just found some reviews that claim the RC-35 sucks compared to the RC-25!

Wolf

Daniel.Han

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mark,

Sorry Hal, don't mean to be hijacking your thread.

I actually found that the CDM matched them very well. I happened to be running the 602s though a Rotel 2 channel amp and the CDM through my H/K 520. Even with the disparity in power source I felt that the front sound stage held together fantastically (once I adjusted spl levels to match). The CDM was much more full, and movie dialogue was more clear. It is rather large and heavy so placing it on top of a TV would probably prove difficult. I am lucky enough to be using a projector so that wasn't much of an issue for me. I did notice that the highs seem to be a little picky, in that moving a distance above or below the tweeter level would effect treble performance. With that said I was also fairly close (about 8ft) so the dispersion pattern should be wider further away, plus if you can just place the tweeter near head high that will work too. Hope this helps, just post here or pm me if you have any other questions Mark.

dh

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you like the B&W sound but not the price you may want to look at the Swans 2.1BC and C3 center. The sound amazing and for the price are imposible to beat if that's the sound you're looking for. I've read professional reviews that have placed them above the 602s and CDM1s and nearly as good as the 805s! Check them out at www.theaudioadvisor.com or check out www.audioenvy.com to see if someone in your area is willing to give you an in-home demo.

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator
>> Well now I have pretty much decided to order a pair of
>> Klipsch RB-35's and a RC-35 center. I can get them for
>> what a pair of 602's alone will cost me.

There is a reason for that, you know. Klipsch has a very different sound from B&W. Some people prefer it but if you like the B&W style sound, you probably won't.

I have heard that about Swans as well, but I find it very hard to believe. Especially the little 2.1's. I would love to A/B them against my 602's.

Thanks for your input, Daniel, that is very helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks