What's new

Center of screen brighter, can it be fixed? (1 Viewer)

BrentG

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Hitachi 57F500 and I have removed the screen protector which did get rid of alot of glare.

But I still have a situation where the center 2/3's of the screen is brighter then the top and bottom. This bright spots moves up and down as you more your viewing angle up and down.

Is their anyway to fix this, or lessen it at least? I remember reading something about linning the inside of the TV with some sort of liner to stop reflections, what would that do.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Brent, you're seeing a common-to-RPTVs phenomenon known as "hot spotting." Nature of the beast. Some RPTVs are more pronounced at hot spotting than others, but they all do it.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
It's normal, turning down contrast to 30% or so has helped with the 2 Hitachis I've had, a 53" analog and a 53" widescreen that I only kept for 3 weeks.

If the screen protector had any kind of coating or tint on it you might want to try re-installing it and getting rid of lights in front of the set, if possible. I do all my serious veiwing with the only light in the room being a lamp behind the set.

I don't notice the hot spotting nearly as much on my current Sony KP57HW40. I think one of the ways Hitachi gets such a bright picture is the use of a very high gain screen, which may exacerbate the hotspotting. The Sony won't go as bright as the Hitachi would, but is bright enough for all but a very brightly lit room--probably not as high-gain a screen.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Lining the inside of an RPTV with a more light absorbend material (such as black velvet) will reduce ghost reflections but not the hot spotting you described.

Hot spotting on an RPTV is more pronounced when you are sitting closer to the screen.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

BrentG

Stunt Coordinator
It really isn't bad and I don't find it detracting from the actually picture. Just figured maybe they was a way to lessen in. Is their a specific material sold out their for linning them? What about a paint, that would be much easier. Most of the inside is painted black other then the raw edges of the particle board. But I realize that even black paint can reflect depending on its sheen and the fact that it is a flat surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks