What's new

Center Mate For MMG's (1 Viewer)

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator
Any suggestions on a conventional box speaker to act as center for a pair of MMG fronts? I don't have the space for a Maggie center (nor budget). Thanks.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
I don't recommend running a box center with any Maggies. Sticking with Maggies all around is your best bet if you like the planar sound.

To do so on a budget, consider:
1) Running in phantom center mode; move the fronts closer together if possible to close up any center hole in the soundstage. This shouldn't cost you anything!
2) Keep an eye out for a used MGCC1 or MGCC2. They're going for about $350 on Audiogon right now. They have very limited bass, so make sure your receiver / processor can cross over at 150Hz and route all lower frequencies to a sub or the mains. You're right that the MGCC3 is expensive at nearly $1,000.
3) Get another pair of MMGs ($550) and use an MMG in the center. (Your setup would need to be able to accommodate a vertical floor-standing center channel.)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Since I posted this a long time ago, Magnepan has since introduced a low-cost center, the MMG-C. It lists for $349. Usually sold to accompany the MMG-W wall-mount speakers, it can also be used as a separate center for Magnepan home theaters based on floor-standing MMGs.

It's still bandwidth-limited, with a -3dB point of 100Hz. But that's actually more mid-bass response than the original MGCC1 (which I have) and MGCC2. That's also a more accessible crossover point for most receivers - so I would think this is a better choice than the MGCC3 to match with the MMGs.
The MGCC3, being more expensive, has an 80Hz -3dB point and more detailed / high-quality sound. It would be a better choice to match with the larger Maggies (1.6/1.7, 3.6).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks