Center Large or Small

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad O, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Brad O

Brad O Auditioning

I'm just wondering what is the best setting for a center speaker that can go down to 50Hz. My receiver's crossover for small setting is 80Hz- is there really anything gained by setting the center to large? Or are there sounds produced by the center below 80Hz that I'm missing by using the small setting?

Thanks.

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Setting a speaker to small will redirect the bass information to the subwoofer. If you don't have a sub, the receiver will usually redirect the bass info to the main speakers. Manufacturer's claims of "flat response down to #Hz" should be taken with a grain of salt. These specs do not hold as higher SPLs are reached (i.e. no speaker is going to outperform a quality dedicated subwoofer for bass reproduction). What I'm trying to say is that you should set your center to "small" (assuming you have a subwoofer). In fact, I prefer the sound of all my speakers set to small (letting the sub handle all content below 80Hz). This eliminates a lot of bass nulls and makes EQing the bass peaks much easier...

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'm with Greg on this one.

That center channel typically receives a copy of all the special effects, music, dialog, etc., in a movie.

If 80 hz is the lower limit on that speaker, you should define it as SMALL so your receiver does not even try to send the lower-frequency signals to it. (This will also free up some power).