What's new

Center Channels (1 Viewer)

Randy G

Second Unit
Jeff,

No, not a DeVry grad, but I did get my Ham Radio license there. They're only a few miles from my place.

So how do the MB1s compare to the AV1s? And why didn't you go for the P1s, seeing as there's so much more pr about them?

Brian failed to mention that I already own a pair of the Emeralds, it's just that I haven't decided on the whole surround system yet, and even if I go with Emeralds, I'd get all new ones because mine have the regular oak finish, and I HATE oak. I actually like the look of both ACI's Emerald LE and "my" idea of the horizontally wrapped veneer with the 3/4" radiused vertical edges.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Randy,

Danny recommended the AV1's more for SS electronics and for HT use. I figured since the P1's were less forgiving to room acoustics, placement, solid state, and they were more expensive, I opted for the AV1's. If I was looking for a 2-ch music only set up, I probably would have gone with the P1's instead.

The MB1/AV1 comparisson has yet to take place. I was waiting to do the comparisson till I finished my stands. I just need to finish the birch sides, paint the center column/base/top, and glue them together.

From just my judgement listening to the AV1's and MB1's seperately on the same system, I doubt I will be able to tell a difference between the two. And since they use the exact same drivers, I figured they would be more similar than different. It's just the crossovers that will differ. And comparing a 14 component one with a 5 component one(not counting the bypass caps), I would go with the GR's. A full kit, simple crossover with top quality foil inductors and custom bypass caps, all parts in one package. The GR's will just be simpler to build.

But for kicks, I'll still do some A/B listening comparissons between the two.

Randy G

Second Unit
Ok, I'm assuming the series xover then.

Keep us posted as to your results.

You too, Brian.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
The center will sit right on top of my tv: 36" Wega.

I won't have any trouble angling it or anything. Door stops own! Of course magnetic shielding will be key for a center, but won't matter for my mains, they will be spread out a few feet.

Randy G

Second Unit
Doorstops usually work pretty well as tilters, so get ready for a smooooth-panning front soundstage.

Like I said, the only negative is if a speaker can't push the spls adequately. Some can, some can't. It all depends on how loud you like to listen. For me, it most likely wouldn't be a problem. The Paradigm Mini is a pretty capable little performer for its price, so I suspect you'll enjoy it alot.

Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks