What's new

center channels for surround (1 Viewer)

Real Name
CRAIG P
good idea/bad idea? the reason im asking is because i know the sound stage radius is more dispersed and seems like it would make for a more enveloping listening experience. the speakers in question is the NHT classic 3C

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
From the HTF Rules:
To answer your question: The center channel is probably the single most important speaker in a properly calibrated surround system. The majority of the essential sound for a film, including nearly all of the dialogue, comes from the center channel. People who skimp on a center channel usually regret it.

Some have found that they can get away without a center channel by using first-rate left and right mains with excellent imaging. The disadvantage of this approach is that it usually results in a single "sweet spot" that accommodates only a single listener. But maybe that's enough for your needs.

"Immersion" is overrated. Most film directors want your attention facing forward where the screen is, and sound designers have to answer to the director.

M.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Michael: I may be wrong...but my impression was the OP was inquiring about the feasibility of using traditional center channel speakers (NHT classic 3C) as his surround speakers. But, it's hard to say for certain.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You may be right, Mike. I answered the question based on my initial understanding, but it's ambiguous.

If you're right, I'd say it's probably inadvisable. The design concepts for center and surround speakers are almost wholly opposite. Then again, every listening space is different; so it might be worth a try.

M.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
One of the magazines tried using five Athena Point 5 centers for fronts, center and surrounds a little while ago. I don't remember them printing any horror stories, but I don't think they were as happy with the results as they thought they'ed be.

Real Name
CRAIG P
sorry for the bump but thanks for the advise. someone once told me it wasnt a good idea as well but never went into detail as to why its not advised

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks