What's new

Center Channel (1 Viewer)

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
What is a good center speaker match for a Denon 4802? All my speakers need to be upgraded, but I am doing this slowly, starting with the center channel.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
You need to pick an entire line of speakers within a given manufacturer that you'll be able to afford eventually. Matching the center channel to the front L&R is the key, not so much to your receiver.

Bill

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at the Infinity Alpha 37c, since I did hear good reviews for the entire speaker package. My only thought was, with the receiver I have, is it better for me to go a little higher end on the speakers? I've know its a good idea to spend twice as much on speakers as you do on a recevier.

Gordon Groff

Second Unit
Another vote for the Rocket line, starting with Bigfoot and building from there. Onix built an incredible HT speaker line and did it right- by building a center channel that is all that. Seriously. By starting with just that one, you can audition the Rocket offering and only risk the shipping charges on one speaker if it does not suit. They will then honor a package price if you add the rest. Pretty much a no-lose opportunity with minor risk.
IMO,
Gordon

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for the Rocket 200.

It that is a bit out of your price range, you might consider the Rocket ELT center channel—assuming that the ELT line appeals (don’t mix and match lines). The ELT center is a fine center speaker. But I bought the 200.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I myself just upgraded my speakers. For Fronts I picked up Paradigm Titans and I picked up the Paradigm CC-170 to match. They sound awesome in my opinion. Really great speakers....This would cost you a little over $400 I believe. Good luck!

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Not too familiar with the Denon amp, but I have recently upgraded too, everyone in this forum is very helpful. After much auditioning I chose the Paradigm Focus with the cc270 (I auditioned the Titan, Atoms, and Mini Monitor as well) So far I've been very pleased with the results!!!
As I mentioned, I don't know the Denon,(other than they make top of the line equipment) perhaps these are under rated for your use. will you be looking at floorstanders? or bookshelves?
My dealer stated that Paradigm guarantees their timbre matching for the future, if you stay within that line(for instance; if you get the cc370 now, it's matched to the Monitor line, and buy the minis, 5's or 7's later, everything's Kosher).
GOOD LUCK, And happy shopping, I think I drove my wife mad with all my researching.

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
MichaelPR - sounds like we got a similar deal. did oyu get them at 6 Ave electronics by chance? i bought them together and i think they dropped the price to closer to $350. I was planning on keeping the titan's up front, them moving them to the back when I can afford something like a Focus or Esprit set in the future.

all depends on your budget..

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Craig yes I did indeed pick this package up at 6th Avenue along with my receiver, a Yamaha RX-V440. I am more than pleased with my setup but like you I hope to move the titans to rear duty and step up to the focus or espirit lines. That will have to wait at least a year though seeing as I just picked up an SVS PCi 20-39!:D

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
I saw that you are in Pearl River which isn't tooooo far from me, and I knew 6Ave carries the paradigm stuff. And I also found out that you can bargain with them... That's how I got stuff for less. I also bought my denon 1803 there, and got it marked down to about the same price as what i could get the 1802 (which was the discontinued model). I was fine with buying the 1802, and it was in my price range. So instead of losing the sale to me (I would have bought online since they were out), they knocked a bit off the price to match what I was finding elsewhere.

I was pretty impressed with them, until I went there yesterday to buy a home theater calibration disk, and the guy looked at me like I was nuts, because he had never heard of them...

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I would also recommend you look at Paradigm speakers. There are models in the Performance and Monitor lines that would meet any budget. The Performance model has a CC-170 and CC-270 and the Monitor line has a CC-370 center channel. The other speakers will match up with the center channel from their respective model.

You can read more about the Paradigm line at http://www.paradigm.ca No, I don't work for this compnay; I am just a big fan of their speakers.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Craig! Yeah I don't know how reliable some of their associates are. I had one guy reading off of a print out to me about the paradigm speakers(must have been new?) I would order the calibration disk over the internet. AS for the paradigms I'm extremely impressed as I am with my Yamaha receiver! I can't recomend these speakers enough. I was originally running a system with Bose 201s up front with a polk cs 100 as the center and a HTIB receiver...I thought it was great during my college years but as soon as I got my first realy job I just had to treat myself to some upgrades....My girlfriend is ready to assasinate me though.

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
yea i was planning on just ordering one, but realized that amazon sells the AVIA for more than what Best Buy has it for. But the GC hasn't finished building the HT room yet, so i'm sitting on my hands waiting because i'm without a home theater at the moment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks