What's new

Center channel (1 Viewer)

I have Energy c5 speakers I've bought for front channels. I'm going to be using a projector and screen, so I don't need the center channel to be shielded. What I'd like to do is just get a thrid c5 and use for the center channel. Anyone see anything wrong with that?

Also, as far as a subwoofer. Are there any situations where using a sub would give you a less accurate sound or even less bass? I guess my thinking is, with a more powerful center channel perfectly matched with the side channels, it would have less need to compensate with a sub.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That's actually preferable (using the same speaker across the front) because the panning across the speakers will sound very coherent.

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
The on problem is trying to buy one C5 as they come in pairs. Current, solution is the C-C1. If you wait a month you can get the new Energy Connoseuir C-C3. It's a 3 way, dual 6-1/2 woofer, dual 2" mid, 1" dome arrangement. It'll be awesome, and about $600 US retail.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Just a thought, but isn't the crossover in a center channel speaker designed with center channel material in mind? I have heard of people doing it both ways, but I kinda figured a speaker designed to be a center channel would perform better? I could be wrong... ;)

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
The on problem is trying to buy one C5 as they come in pairs.
You could always get the pair and use one as a centre rear if you were doing a 6.1 set up.

Nobody has touched your sub comment, but I would recommend one even with the large center. The C-5's are towers but not full range, you should still get a sub to fill in the bottom end.

BTW how do you like the C-5's. I should be checking them out soon.

I've been a little worried about whether or not you can get them individually. I bought my first two from "hooked on tronics" online, good prices. It looks to me like they allow for a purchase of one but I'll probably call first.

Hopefully I'll be getting my amp soon so I can say how much I like them, its driving me crazy, but when your doing the whole room from the ground up on a budget, it takes time to get everything.

I can say I liked them compared to the boston accoustics, bose, and klipsche as I heard them in the store. But I havn't listened to NHTs, I've heard some like those better (for the price range).

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Also, as far as a subwoofer. Are there any situations where using a sub would give you a less accurate sound or even less bass? I guess my thinking is, with a more powerful center channel perfectly matched with the side channels, it would have less need to compensate with a sub.
Using a sub is something of an effort in terms of it needing to be calibrated and placed well into your HT set up, but I don't care what speakers you have- a sub will make a difference- be it bookshelf or full range towers. The sub will let you feel things that make the HT experience so much better, just don't skimp on the sub when you are ready to get one. My .02

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Adam> Go with the best sub your budget allows. HT demands it and it will make a huge difference. You can trust me on this.

Scott Sabin

Stunt Coordinator
HookedOnTronics sells single towers, but not single bookshelves for the Energy C-series. I personally am studying the same exact issue, but I doubt I will be able to fit a tower under the screen in an upright orientation. That sure would be nice though!

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
I say do it towers all up front. I have the c5's in the front will transition those to the back, as i am going to receive c9's very very soon.:D

I work for a retailer and YOU CAN BUY C5'S EACH! enjoy your speakers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks