What's new

Center Channel (1 Viewer)

Brandon Bemmels

Auditioning
Hello everybody I have about 400 dollars to play with to build a new center channel. And that is for every thing (box,crosover,etc.) Right now my center channel is a little 30 dollar rca surrond speaker, although it actually dosent sound that bad i want to uprgrade my entire system.
I have a Yamaha htr-5250 reciever, Pioneer Elite DV 45a Dvd/DVD Audio/SACD player. The mains are Yamahas but I also plan to make some of them in the future using the same drivers as the center.

The problem is that there are so many choices of good speakers to choose from, that I dont know what to buy.

Judging by all of the good reviews I've read on it,I'm pretty sure that I want to use the Vifa xt25 for the tweeter

I have no clue what to do for the rest. So please help.

It will be used 75% tv, 20% dvd, 5% Dvd audio/Sacd.

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
Brandon,

I like the sound of my full range center channel. I actually made all 5 of my 5.1 speakers from some full range drivers from Babb. I find that dialog sounds just right. You get better phase and time alignment, better off axis frequency response and very good imaging. The best part is, there is no crossover to deal with! All you have to do is build a box and insert the driver.

Brandon Bemmels

Auditioning
Tell me more about this Babb. Where can I find info on it and see prices? How would this compare to a Vifa XT three way or a mg/xt three way?
Would any of the cheaper scans be a good option?
I also read the other day that the focal 5w is one of the best midranges ever. How would this be?

As more and more of the music I like comes out on DVD Audio/SACD it will be used for more and more music. I would like it to be a really dynamic speaker. And also be very detailed.
Thanks Brandon

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't use the Loreleis. They are expensive as Patrick said. I opted to try what Babb calls their auto/marine drivers. I used the 534s for LRC and the 514s in the rear. I think they sound very good and I believe Babb is coming out with an entire home line of drivers very shortly.

http://www.babbspeakers.com/index2.asp

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
Ben

Those look interesting (in a good way). I may have to get more information on those. What size enclosure are you using?

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
What material did you use to build that enclosure? It looks like.... WOOD! I've been planning to use MDF and veneer, but I think it would be difficult to round-over the corners like yours.

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
Gregg,Jeff

The enclosure size is approx 6 L (sealed). The boxes are made of real wood!! Can you believe it. It cost me only $45 Cdn to make 5 boxes. I used white ash, kiln dried to 6% moisture. This stuff is as hard as nails and machines very nicely. I still need to install some binding posts and finish the boxes. I think I am going to do an oil based stain and then an oil based polyurethane on top.
I used rabbeted joints and only wood glue to hold the assembly together. I rounded over the corners so that you can't even see the join (except when the grain changes direction.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
very nice enclosure

i am still debating building or buying my main and surrounds, but the lack of cash makes up my mind really fast :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks