What's new

center channel with built in sub question (1 Viewer)

Mike-G-H

Auditioning
I'm going to my brothers for thanksgiving and he wants me to help him calibrate his theater setup. I'm pretty new at this, I've got my own system figured out but his is a bit different than mine. He's got def tech mains with built in subs and a def tech center channel speaker with a built in sub. Should all speakers still be set on small and how would I go about calibrating the sub in the center channel??

thanks,

Mike

mylan

Screenwriter
I'm kinda new at this too but I would set all speakers with subs to "large" otherwise you would defeat their purpose. As far as calibrating the center sub, you got me.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
It really depends on a number of things. I'm at work so I'll make it short.

Def tech speakers with built-in sub really don't go very deep. They have some nice bass punch but thats it. I don't know what kind of receiver you have. Some have varible xovers and such. If you could I would recommend running these "small" crossed around 80hz.

If you don't know and watch mvoies LOUD. Use small. If you don't watch at loud levels, go ahead and set to large.

BTW - All of those speakers should have a gain control on the back. Just find a position where it sounds balanced. Not too laid back and not too boomy.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Normally good advice, Scott, but if I read Mike’s post correctly, there is no outboard subwoofer. Set the mains to “small” and he’ll have no bass at all!

Mike, I’d set the center speaker to “small.” Your brother will probably cry foul, because people with speakers like that feel like they’re “going to waste” if they don’t utilize everything it’s capable of. However, I’ve found that centers that operate full range usually deliver unnaturally “boomy” male voices. This is because much of the material we watch is poorly equalized – i.e., they don’t roll the lows out of the mics they use.

If your brother complains about “wasting” the speaker’s capability, counter with a few questions like:
  • Do you feel like your car’s going to waste because you don’t drive it wide open all the time?
  • Do you use each and every input on your receiver?
  • Do you watch every channel you get from your cable TV service?
  • Did you ever use all the features your VCR had??
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks