Center channel way too loud...any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TommyL, Aug 18, 2002.

1. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Hi all...I have a sr8200 marantz, and have went through the setup ..only to have the center far too loud...I even went in and changed it to -10 DB(as low as I could) and it is still far louder than I would like it...any thoughts on what I could do to tone it down? thanks much! tom ps..I use jbl s26's all around,a nd a s2 center (jbl) tom

2. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

Check your Dynamic Range Compression. If it's at maximum, the receiver will keep the center (vocal) channel at a relatively prominent level, ie. for late night listening.

3. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Thanks....I'll give that a try and report back...now to find out where that function is at[​IMG]

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

do you have a test disc? Anyway, try calibrating the whole speaker balancing again but this time lower the left main somewhat then match the center and right main and surrounds to this lower level. By level I mean the internal speaker settings, not the "reference" of ~75 or 85dB. This might work if your rcvr doesnt use the "0dB" setting for calibrating and you will have volume room to turn it up with a lower spkr level.

And do you use the SMALL settings all around if you have a SUB in the mix? I just throw this in, but it doesnt really attenuate the center speaker volume level.

bill

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

1) There is absolutely no substitute for proper calibration with a meter and test tones. Buy Avia, buy a RS meter and you will be happy.

2) To solve your immediate problem- have you considered reducing the overall volume and increasing the other channels? By lowering the volume by 5db and increasing every channel other than the Center by 5db, you effectively reduce the center by 5db in terms of relative volume.

Vince

6. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

GOtcha guys...thanks much..the 1st step mentioned was on(probably the wife[​IMG] Vince's step was going to be my next step...thanks all...man, I like this forum[​IMG] tom