Center channel w/ Mirage 260s

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by BenF, Oct 1, 2004.

1. BenF

BenF Agent

I have been doing some research and reading through old threads here and would like to get some advise. I currently have only the Mirage omni 260 front speakers. Looking to buy a center channel next.

Everyone says you need to match the center to the fronts. I have two problems with that - 1) Mirage currently only offers two front channels, at $400 and 750. I only spent 500 for my fronts, so am not too excited about spending almost the same amount for the center channel. 2) I have read some mixed reviews on the Mirage center channels.

I am looking for recommendations from folks out there who may have paired their Mirage fronts with a different center. Is it really that big of a deal? Any other advise is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2. Craig_O

Craig_O Agent

I had the bose center speaker paired with my omnisats. I upgraded and got the OMC2 and it was a big difference. The price can be a bit of a shock but I feel it was well worth it.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'm sure you can find the Mirage center discounted. Good Guys carries them now. Should be able to get 20% off pretty easily.

Also keep in mind, that the center channel carriers upwards of 60% of the info in a movie soundtracks. So it *is* kind of important. [​IMG]

4. David K.

David K. Second Unit

how did you get the 260's for $500?

BTW I have the omni CC its a horrible center, I regret getting it.

5. Craig_O

Craig_O Agent

David K,
    Have you listened to Mirage's flagship center, OM-C2? It has been widely acclaimed as an excellent center. It's probably the best money I have spent towards my home theater setup. I'm suprised more mirage owners have not spoken up as of yet. I'm not familar with mirages new center so I can't comment. If you can find the OM-C2 for less than what I paid, jump on it. It is so worth it.

6. BenF

BenF Agent

I got the 260s from Tweeter. For some reason they had them on sale at 50% off a few weeks ago - too good a deal to pass up.

What is the going price for the C2? And where may I be able to find it discounted? Right now I only have the two fronts, and want to get the center next but was hoping to spend under $300.

Thanks.

7. Craig_O

Craig_O Agent

So far the going price that I know of for the C2 is still $750 MSRP. It is one hell of a speaker but it does carry a heavy price tag. It's probably not within the budget you have, but it you can save up for, I don't know of any other center that I could recommend for the same price. It's that good.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have an OM-C2 up front along with OM-7's.

The best center speaker I've personally owned. Previous ones include the Vandersteen VCC Signature, and a Def Tech CLR 2000. Both of those centers were with complete systems from each of those manufacturers

The thing that I spotted, is somewhat for the Def Tech, but more so for the Vandy, both of the center speakers sounded like boxes. The soundfield was there, but I could tell in both cases that the sound was coming from a speaker. The OM-C2 just seems a lot more transparent to what's going on in the soundtrack. I am personally convinced that its omnipolar design does a better job of "forgiving" the audio compromises necessited by placing a speaker on a TV with the flat screen right below it (which adds harmful reflections).

Ben- One suggestion is to look around for a used OM-C2, and then possibly consider it as a stepping stone to someday replacing the 260's with OM-7's or 9's. [​IMG]

I use 4 Omni 60's in the back of the room for surrounds and rears (7.1), and I must say that this is the best overall speaker setup I've had, both for HT and for music.

9. Robert V

Robert V Stunt Coordinator

My 260's are setup in a 12'10"x19'2"x8' room and the soundstage is amazing. IMO, no center channel is needed. If you prefer a CC, then check out audiogon, as the guy I purchased my omni 60's from is selling a matching CC.

Is tweeter still offering the deal?