What's new

Center channel w/ Mirage 260s (1 Viewer)

BenF

Agent
I have been doing some research and reading through old threads here and would like to get some advise. I currently have only the Mirage omni 260 front speakers. Looking to buy a center channel next.

Everyone says you need to match the center to the fronts. I have two problems with that - 1) Mirage currently only offers two front channels, at $400 and 750. I only spent 500 for my fronts, so am not too excited about spending almost the same amount for the center channel. 2) I have read some mixed reviews on the Mirage center channels.

I am looking for recommendations from folks out there who may have paired their Mirage fronts with a different center. Is it really that big of a deal? Any other advise is more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Craig_O

Agent
I had the bose center speaker paired with my omnisats. I upgraded and got the OMC2 and it was a big difference. The price can be a bit of a shock but I feel it was well worth it.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure you can find the Mirage center discounted. Good Guys carries them now. Should be able to get 20% off pretty easily.

Also keep in mind, that the center channel carriers upwards of 60% of the info in a movie soundtracks. So it *is* kind of important. :)

David K.

Second Unit
how did you get the 260's for $500?

BTW I have the omni CC its a horrible center, I regret getting it.

Craig_O

Agent
David K,
Have you listened to Mirage's flagship center, OM-C2? It has been widely acclaimed as an excellent center. It's probably the best money I have spent towards my home theater setup. I'm suprised more mirage owners have not spoken up as of yet. I'm not familar with mirages new center so I can't comment. If you can find the OM-C2 for less than what I paid, jump on it. It is so worth it.

BenF

Agent
I got the 260s from Tweeter. For some reason they had them on sale at 50% off a few weeks ago - too good a deal to pass up.

What is the going price for the C2? And where may I be able to find it discounted? Right now I only have the two fronts, and want to get the center next but was hoping to spend under $300.

Thanks.

Craig_O

Agent
So far the going price that I know of for the C2 is still $750 MSRP. It is one hell of a speaker but it does carry a heavy price tag. It's probably not within the budget you have, but it you can save up for, I don't know of any other center that I could recommend for the same price. It's that good.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have an OM-C2 up front along with OM-7's.

The best center speaker I've personally owned. Previous ones include the Vandersteen VCC Signature, and a Def Tech CLR 2000. Both of those centers were with complete systems from each of those manufacturers

The thing that I spotted, is somewhat for the Def Tech, but more so for the Vandy, both of the center speakers sounded like boxes. The soundfield was there, but I could tell in both cases that the sound was coming from a speaker. The OM-C2 just seems a lot more transparent to what's going on in the soundtrack. I am personally convinced that its omnipolar design does a better job of "forgiving" the audio compromises necessited by placing a speaker on a TV with the flat screen right below it (which adds harmful reflections).

Ben- One suggestion is to look around for a used OM-C2, and then possibly consider it as a stepping stone to someday replacing the 260's with OM-7's or 9's. ;)

I use 4 Omni 60's in the back of the room for surrounds and rears (7.1), and I must say that this is the best overall speaker setup I've had, both for HT and for music.

Robert V

Stunt Coordinator
My 260's are setup in a 12'10"x19'2"x8' room and the soundstage is amazing. IMO, no center channel is needed. If you prefer a CC, then check out audiogon, as the guy I purchased my omni 60's from is selling a matching CC.

Is tweeter still offering the deal?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks