Center channel. Upright or lying on it's side?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martice, May 6, 2002.

1. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I have a trio of GR Research AV1+ speakers. I currently have all three speakers leveled at ear height with the front L & R speakers standing straight up and the center on it's side. What I'd like to know is there a preferred way to mount the center channel? Is on it's side the preferred way or is standing up like the front L & R speakers. Mind you that standing up will take the center channel tweeters 5" below ear level as opposed to being at ear level.

2. John Desmond

John Desmond Stunt Coordinator

I'm willing to bet they'll sound better vertical than horizontal. Try angling up toward your listening position, this can often help quite a bit for a speaker that is mounted below optimum height.

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Martice,

In every single instance I can think of, any speaker should be mounted with the mid and tweet aligned vertically. I know Danny says that the AV-1+ makes a great center channel even lying on it's side, but if at all possible, it will definitely perform better vertically.

As soon as I get mine built I'll try it both ways to see if I can tell a huge difference. Based on past experience I'd assume it will sound better vertically.

Brian

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Still though, I couldn't stand to look at the speaker standing 16+ inches high on my TV.

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,
    Screw aesthetics! [​IMG] I say that before trying that and having my wife raise holy hell! Also, she hasn't said much about the 12" tall speaker up there now! What's another 5.5"?
    Brian