Center Channel Upgrade

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RobertDO, Mar 27, 2005.

1. RobertDO

RobertDO Auditioning

Hello, I have the older Boston Acoustics 555's for my fronts & center and the 575's for my surround. I recently upgraded to a 7.1 and got a pair of BA HD8's for my back. I would like change my center speaker out and move it to the back, assuming I can find another 555 to go with it.
    Would a BA 910 be a good match with the 555's and 575's.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

If I am not mistaken (and this is according to Bostons website) the 555 are in-ceiling speakers. If you are referring to the in-ceiling speakers than yes the 910 will go just fine with it. The tweeter in the 910 and 555 are the same aluminum dome lynfield tweeter (EXCELLENT tweeter). If your 555 are not in-ceiling than please explaine what they are and what the tweeter is so I can let you know what will be the matching center.

3. RobertDO

RobertDO Auditioning

My mistake. I should have been a little more clear in what type I have. They are the 555x and 575x THX speakers. You can find them in the discontinued section of the BA site.

Thanks

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I looked on the website and see no mention of a discontinued section. I did a search and nothing came up either. Can you give us a link to the speakers?

5. RobertDO

RobertDO Auditioning

Here is the info I got from the site. I was unable to post a link here.

555X THX LCR AC suspension, 2-5.25" woofer, 2-1" tweeter 93-96 150 watts $300.00/ea.

That's all I could find on the site.

Thanks

6. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Does it say anything about the tweeter material?? Boston really has 2 different tweeters that they make.....an Aluminum dome and a soft dome. If it is the aluminum than the 910, 920, bravo, vrmc, 12, 10 and VRC centers will all match the fronts you have. If the fronts have the Soft tweeter than either the CRC or CRC7 will do. Hopefully this helped. Good luck