Center channel to go with Polk LSi7's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Vince_B, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Vince_B

Vince_B Extra

Could someone suggest a center channel to go with my Polk Audio LSi7's? The fronts and rears are all LSi7. Subwoofer is SVS PB1-ISD, which hopefully will be here in a few days. Receiver is Yamaha HTR-5760.

I was thinking of getting the Polk Audio CSi5 as the center channel since it kinda fit my budget. This setup will be mostly for watching movies. Thanks.

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

isn't the CSi5 polk's recommendation?

3. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

LSiC, naturally.

4. Dean Arizona

Dean Arizona Agent

The Lsi7 is a 4 ohm speaker. I'm not familiar with the powerplant of the HTR-5760 but your receiver is probably adequate for driving 2 channel Lsi7 setup. However, are you certain that your Yami can handle a 4 ohm load x 4 (5 with an Lsi center)? Are you adding outboard amplification?

5. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

If your idea is to match your mains the LSIc is the proper choice. If your choice is to meet a budget with matching a secondary goal, care to share the budget?

6. Vince_B

Vince_B Extra

To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm getting into [​IMG] Couldn't resist on the deals with the components I got. Maybe I should do more reading on what these 4 ohm speakers are about. Might have to take the receiver back and get a different one. So if I get an amp to go with this receiver, I should be ok? If so, which could I get... anyone know?

It would be nice to get the LSiC, but it would also mean starving the kids for a while. I'm not sure how well the CSi5 matches with the LSi7 speakers, but my budget is about $300-400. And that already means not feeding the wife [​IMG]

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Go with no center for now, save for the LSiC since it is the only match, or buy another set of LSiCs and use one for front and rear center.

8. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

oops, guess not

9. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Vince,
    Another vote for the LsiC. Anything else will detract from the front sound stage. Go without, as John suggested, it will be worth the wait.

Ed,
    Read your comments at CP regarding the 7's vs. 800's.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Glad you're lovin' em!!

10. Dean Arizona

Dean Arizona Agent

If you purchased the Yamaha receiver and the Lsi7's at the same time, I believe that the salesman should have cautioned you against running all four Lsi7's (or 5 with a center channel) with the relatively modest amplification provided by your receiver. The Lsi7 is a speaker that has a four ohm demand for current which is twice as much as the typical 8 ohm speaker that your receiver is probably rated for driving. This means that your receiver needs to work at least twice as hard to produce volumes at the same level of an 8 ohm receiver. In a short time you may burn out the Yamaha's amp and the performance of the Lsi7's won't adequately represent their full potential. If your receiver has preouts, you may want to consider the outboard amplication that I refered to in an earlier post. You may want to discuss these issues with your salesman. Definitely keep the speakers - they produce a terrific soundstage for such a small package. Good luck. Be sure to update us with your progress - I'm curious about how your salesman responds to your inquiry. [​IMG]

11. John Garcia

John

I have to agree with Dean, though the amp is not at risk, much more importantly the speakers themselves are at risk if providing insufficient current and driving them to clipping. The speakers will fry long before the amp damages itself.

I have been using the LSi7s in stereo configurations recently with modest amps and they seem to be doing fine. I don't think these amps would be very happy with a full compliment of LSis though.

12. Vince_B

Vince_B Extra

Thanks for clarifying that for me Dean. And thank you for the replies and suggestions. I purchased the receiver and speakers seperately, so I can only blame myself. It was hard to ask questions when I didn't know what to ask.

I guess the Yamaha HTR-5760 is rated for 8 ohms....110 Watts x 7 (8 ohms, 1 kHz), 95 Watts x 7 (8 ohms, 20Hz to 20kHz). It does have Pre-outputs. Any ideas which outboard amplication I would need to drive these LSi7's and an LSiC? Or would it be better just to get a different receiver that will be able to handle all these?

13. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Frank - moving up in the world! [​IMG]

Here's how I'm running my LSi7's:

1) Denon 2900 using its onboard DSP and DACs in Pure Direct mode. Analog out using Signal Cable Analog 2.

2) Denon 3803 being used ONLY as a volume control, also in Pure Direct mode. Analog out using Better Cables Silver Serpents.

3) Outlaw M200 monoblocks running 300 watts into 4 ohms. Analog out using Monster M1.4 bi-wire to the LSi7's.

It's well known the LSi line has a reactive impedance load that dips below 4 ohms (the LSi9 drops to 2.9 ohms at one point), and a high current amp is required to get the most out of them. The LSi's seem to like the M200's, and these amps still run ice cold even at pretty healthy volumes.

With respect to timbre match, I calibrated the 7's to match the other Polk speakers in my HT system and was pleasantly surprised that the CS400i (with its tri-lam dome tweeter and also being driven by an M200) blended pretty well with the LSi7's across the front stage. Ditto for high res surround using the fx1000's (also with trim-lam tweeter) on the sides. Granted, the front stage timbre match isn't perfect, but it's very liveable for someone in transition mode from RTi to LSi.

Vince, while I think the LSiC should clearly be your ultimate goal, I wouldn't hesitiate to run a budget Polk center for the interim (like the CSi30 or even a used CS245i) if you can find one on the cheap.

Regards,

Ed

14. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Vince - read your manual, all the Yamaha's I have says ...

FYI: The HTR-5660 includes the following rating:

MAIN, 8/6/4/2Ω 95/120/160/190W

Phil

15. John Garcia

John
    IMO, that receiver will be able to adequately power LSi7s, but more power may make them shine, down the road. [​IMG]

16. Daman

Daman Second Unit

The Yamaha should have a 2 way switch at the back of the reciever, it is there in my older 5650 so it should be in 5760 as well, the switch can be either set to a range of 6-8 ohms or 6 ohms to 4 ohms load so you just need to flip that switch, the reciever shoudl be able to take the load..

17. TommyWMedford

TommyWMedford Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I'd thought I'd chime in with my 2 cents. I suggest you return the Yamaha if you can, and order a Carver AV505 from www.onecall.com for only $330, plus an extra $30 for shipping. I ordered mine over the weekend, and should get it tomorrow or Thurs. I, too, got the LSi7's, and I knew my receiver wasn't going to be powerful enough to drive them. The Carver is 80 watts x 5 in to 8 ohms, and about 120 watts into 4 ohms. The 505 is an older model, but it comes with a 5 yr warranty, and at that price, I doubt you'll be able to do any better. You will need a pre amp/processor to go along with the amp, but you should be able to find a decent one on Ebay for less than $200. I found a NAD 117 for only $160, and a Rotel(can't remember model #) for $120. These prices include shipping. Only sucky thing about these is that they decode Pro Logic only, but they are of really good quality, and I think the NAD has a Dolby Digital/DTS passthrough if you have a DD/DTS decoder. You can also use a DD/DTS receiver as long as it has 5.1 preouts. I really would like to get the NAD preamp, as I've got a Technics DD processor, but I think I'm going to go with the Rotel in order to save a little bit of money. In my opinion, though, I don't think there is a better way to get into seperates if you're on a tight budget.