What's new

Center Channel to compliment a pair of Bose fronts (1 Viewer)

Aaron_M

Auditioning
My father currently has a set of Bose speakers he is using for the front - Bose 501 Series IV. These speakers are pretty nice and he doesn't plan on parting with them any time soon.

My question is what would be a good center channel to compliment or at least match these speakers? This is to be as a Christmas gift, so I can't just tell him to drop the Bose and look for new fronts - especially not after how much was paid for them. The price range we are looking at cannot exceed around $400 for just the center channel.

Also, if anyone has any recommendation for good rear-surround speakers within the $200-$400 price range that would also compliment the system, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
I think it will be hard to match a center speaker to the Bose because the Bose use papercone tweeters I think.

The most important part of the match up is the tweeter. If all tweeters match then you get a seamless soundstage.

You may want to look at the Bose center speakers and surrounds, and see if you can find some that will match up with the 501's, like some that may have the same or similar tweeters.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Wow, there must be another answer than more BOSE.

How about a HTD Level 1 surround system. Level 2 if you sell the Bose on ebay or to someone you don't like.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
as much as i'd like to see him burn those speakers to the ground, he needs to have the front 3 speakers be very well matched with each other, no matter how bad they are. i agree with Sean...get the Bose center channel. at least the lack of decent sound will be consistant. ;)

RichardH

Supporting Actor
You have an $800 budget for a center and rears. That could buy 5 really nice speakers!!
If you know for a fact that he won't part with the Bose, you have 2 options:
1. just get the Bose center and rears and have the sound be mediocre. Actually, the Bose center is just 4 full-range speakers, so it's not like it's really a match.
2. Get the best dang center and rears you can for your budget. e.g. Paradigm CC-370 and MiniMonitors;
Then, when he realizes how good it can be, he'll dump the Bose!!
It's not likely that he'll complain about pans across the front being mismatched (especially after level calibration), but he's very likely to notice and complain if he can't understand voices. So, a quality center channel would be a good idea. Later on you can suggest that he try the MiniMonitors (or whatever) as the fronts and see how he likes it on music. Once he hears that things should be hunkey-dorey :D

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Another option is to spend your $800 on three speakers for the front and move the Bose to the rear. Best case scenario is to have five matching speakers but as a man on a budget I can tell you that the rears is a good spot to save money when doing an upgrade.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
Look... the guy needs to do a center channel for his dad who "likes" his Bose speakers....he is not asking for the opinion on what would be better in the price range...do some of you even read the posts!?

I agree... as much as I do not like bose... probably the bose center channel with maybe 201's or 301's for surrounds will do.. at least it will be matched...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Richard's second option. Get the best center and surround speakers you can afford (maybe Paradigm, maybe another brand). He'll be looking for better mains on December 26th! :)

Aaron_M

Auditioning
I didn't realize even the 501 speakers he has were the poor quality you are all describing. Poor for the money, yes, but I didn't know they were poor overall. Thanks for all the opinions, and of course, any others are welcome.

My father does like the speakers, though the reason for Bose is because they were the best he could get as replacements for previous Bose speakers he owned for 15 years that eventually blew out - and they gave him credit towards new speakers.

The main 3 considerations I am looking at right now for Center is Paradigm CC-370, B&W LCR6 S2, and Cambridge Soundworks Newton MC500. Of course, the Bose is a last option.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Buy some nice Paradigms or Infinitys and move the Bose to the rear (as Carl said).

CC-370 & Mini Monitors

or

Infinity IL25c & IL10's

Both setups can be had for

Aaron_M

Auditioning
Thanks for the suggestion Jerry (and everyone else). However, if I could manage to talk him into swapping the front speakers, he would definitely be selling the Bose speakers.

They are pretty large floor speakers (about 2'x 2'x 3') and would not work very well as rear speakers for size reasons, being located so close to the floor, as well as cost reasons... (might as well sell them and get somethign better)

David John

Stunt Coordinator
What about trying something like an Infinity center, one that has an adjustable tweeter level.

At least you could try to match the sound.

There may be some other center speaker with the adjustments.

However, I don't know which they are.

I do know that some Infinitis have it.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I think the Bose v-100 or whatever their center is called actually contains 4 of the same 2 1/2" drivers that are used in the 501s. This would be your best bet for voice matching your speakers. The 201's for rears also use the same driver if i am not mistaken and would also make a decent choice as far as timbre matching goes. Bose is generally defiled here, but if your dad likes the sound, why not please him and actually timbre match his system?

J

Nick L

Second Unit
I am going to have to second the CC-370. It is one amazing center channel speaker.

Nick L

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Aaron,

If you are in Michigan? you are about 2hrs from the best market for Paradigm speakers. That $800US suddenly becomes $1200CDN, which could get you 2pr Mini Monitors, and CC-370. Cross back over to the US and you get your taxes back. Just my two cents.

Kevin

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
...and I will second the B&W LCR6. An amazing center channel. If he likes it, pick up a pair of 602s used for the rears....which would also make good mains. I still have a pair of 301 series IV Bose speakers in my office. They work well for the job that they do. Your post is asking what would compliment the Bose speakers for good sound up front. The problem is, for the price, Bose can easily be beat in quality sound. Therefore, it's tough to recommend "voice matching" the existing mains with more Bose speakers. If you are able to step up to a Paradigm or B&W set-up, he will appreciate it. He will also realize that there other choices on the market. 15 years ago, the Bose 901s were great speaker choices. Today, there are many others available, at a much higher quality level, IMO.

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.