Center Channel & Sub Volume Control

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James*S*G, Oct 14, 2002.

1. James*S*G

James*S*G Auditioning

Oct 13, 2002
    I'm in the market for a surround sound system for ht and music.

One of my colleagues recommended that I look for an amp that enables speaker volume control from the remote for the center channel and the subwoofer. The issue he found was that depending on the movie, the center channel could be too loud/soft or the sub could be too loud/soft. Having the control from the remote solved his problem.

Do people really find this is an issue?

I've been looking at Paradigm Monitor Series speakers matched with either a Yamaha RX-V1300 or Pioneer Elite VSX 41TX.

The Yamaha appears to make you go into the speaker test sequence to change the individual speaker volume (so you can no longer hear the actual content you want to control). The Pioneer appeared to have this control for all channels via their menu with the content still playing.

Does anyone know these amps better than the sales guy in the store?

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

May 7, 2001
    I find that the sound coming out of my center and/or sub can often be too loud or too soft. I used to adjust these levels "on the fly" with my remote as you seem to be looking to do.

Different movies and music are mixed differently. Some better. Some worse. The room and equipment also affect this. By continually adjusting these levels for each and every piece of software I threw into the system, it compromised my ability to objectively evaluate any movie or CD. It's a slippery slope that left my system (at times) so far out of whack/calibration... Everything was sounding horrible. I ultimately chose to calibrate my speakers properly and stop messing with them.

I know it's not the answer you were looking for, but ultimately, I am much happier with the performance of my system and I have more confidence in my ability to critically evaluate both movies and music.

If you are set on dealing with the center ch and LFE levels this way, most AV Receivers/AMPs your likely to be looking at should have a remote that will allow you to do this.

Just my $0.02
    Good Luck,
  3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Mar 12, 2002
    You can solve this "problem" by using the dynamic range control (DNR), midnight mode, or night theater mode (these are labeled differently based on the manufacturer's jargon) that your AVR should have for dolby digital sources (technically if your system is calibrated correctly then this is the type of playback envisioned by the sound mixing engineer as it adds to the movie experience by potraying things such as dialogue, explosions, and environment in scale). I would look for a product that has an adjustable DNR this way you calibrate your system and only have to mess with this setting and still keep everything else in alignment.