Center Channel Speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Kess, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Mark_Kess

Mark_Kess Auditioning

As a newbie to HT, please pardon the basics on this question. In previous help sections, the talk of like timbre on speakers is important. Nothing real specific on center channel speakers.

In looking at speakers from retail stores, there are specific speakers for centers. Can a decent bookshelf be used as the center channel if it is like the other speakers in the grouping? Or does a center give you things that are unique and a true center needs to be purchased.

Better to be safe and ask than be sorry by buying wrong.

Thanks for your help.

MK

2. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

I've read on here that some folks are using 3 identical speaker accross the front and prefer it to a specialized centre channel speaker.

I myself have a "classical" centre channel speaker as there is no way (physically or financially) to put a 3rd tower into the fray. The centre is matched to my towers and I am very happy with it's performance. I also prefer the aestetics of a centre channel speaker as it "just looks right", a poor reason to go this way, but a happy coincedence as it sounds great.

I've never heard a system with 3 identical speakers accross the front, so I may be missing out on something wonderful. Your best bet is to try both options if you have a store that will let you. I know some of the high end shops around here will let you demo equipment. Conversly you could try a mega retailer with a generous return policy. Not sure how you can avoid buying 4 speakers to get your 3, unless you have a friend that wants to split 3 pairs with you.

Good luck.

Cheers,
    Chris

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

4. Julio Ortiz

Julio Ortiz Agent

Mark:

I had 5 B&W LM1s. Being all identical, I can assure you it sounded excellent. However I was "hungry" for more and upgraded to CM4s with it's matched center.

Still don't know if I will be getting CM4s or CM2s as surrounds.