Center Channel Speaker Wire Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron Cooke, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

I'm getting my first center speaker today. A Klipsch RC-7. My mains will be Klipsch RF-7's with Monster Z2 biwire. I am looking for suggestions on what to get as speaker wire for the center channel. I was looking at bettercables offerings and it appears their "premium II" speaker wire is available in a bi-wire option, but not their top of the line "silver serpent" I am open to any options/suggestions but i would really like to stay around $100 with a max of $150. Thanks.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The best idea is to either match the wire you have for your mains exactly, or replace all three runs of wire.
    As for a specific brand, I usually recommend either regular home depot 12 gauge, 14 gauge, or some zennith 14 guage that i found for $1.12 per 25ft section on www.shoppingmatrix.tv.
    Probably not the kind of recommendation that you're looking for, but i'm not a big believer in boutique type cables, especially not for speaker wire, which is not prey to interference, and (again my opinion, don't want to start another cable debate) copper is pretty much copper.
    Maybe some day i'll be converted, but not while i'm a college kid who could spend the $$ he saves on cables for dvds and future substantial hardware upgrades. Until i hear a large audible difference from a cable compared to what i currently have (and i have done some testing and comparisons), i'm going to stick with what's proven to work well for me that is still a decent price.

3. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

I'll second the Home Depot 12 gauge speaker wires.

4. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

Aaron,

The SS wire is available in bi-wire configuration. My whole system is set up this way with that wire.

I do recommend (as someone else stated) to stick with the same brand/type of wire throughout the system. If you are using Monster Z2 now, just get another section of that and you will be fine. I wouldn't go bi-wire though. Unless you are using some pretty high-end equipment/speakers, bi-wiring provides no benefits.

I would NOT recommend switching your wire for the HD stuff... why step down?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Copper is copper, but there are definitely different grades of copper, and different capability WRT stranded and solid. Having said that, I do not put much faith in "boutique" cables either. I have tested 99.99% pure, solid copper wire vs a larger ga. OFHC copper wire, and the difference was negligible (in my setup). Probably measureable, but not worth the 3X increase in price, IMO. The wire I am using, Monster MCS-1X, is about $1.50/ft, but I got it for about $1/ft.

I agree also, that the gear in question is a large factor, and since you didn't specify the rest of your gear, it is hard to speculate as to whether it is really worth it or not. Stick with the same type/manufacturer all around.

6. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

I'm running 8 Klipsch Legends with HD 12 gauge and it sounds fine to me. But I may be deaf by now, so take it with a grain of salt [​IMG]
    One thing to consider is that the CC is usually not a very long cable run, so a heavy gauge wire may not be as much of an issue.
    If you're set on getting a "premium" cable then by all means get the best you can afford. It's only money...

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You may find this comment from Klipsch informative.

>>>>>>>>>> -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 2:29 PM
    To: Matt Whatley - Klipsch
    Subject: RE: BI-wiring

Matt: Unfortunately these are questions we (Klipsch) probably can't answer. Most EE's (this is not a disparaging remark) including our own don't subscribe to the concept of high end wire or the proposed theories of why, or if, bi-wire works. Much of what is claimed can't be measured with conventional techniques or at all. The presence of bi-wire inputs on the speakers is not due to the engineers. There inclusion is the result of produduct development and sales requesting them due to their presence on competitive product and the opinions of the non EE's at Klipsch and the "audiophile" community. The customers best source for info is probably the wire companies (certainly not an unbiased source). Some of them will be able to back up their claims and some will not. My opinion remains unchanged, better wire and biwiring usually make a significant difference for the better (sometimes for the worse) but I can't prove why it does.

MK

And with that maybe you'll find that 12 gauge copper, available from a multitude of sources at well under a dollar a foot not only does the job but is appropriately priced while the others...well let's just say that they're overpriced.

8. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    I prefer to use gold cabling in any of my runs more than 3' in length. You really start to notice the difference in those longer runs.