What's new

Center channel speaker sound and placement (1 Viewer)

Daniel H

Auditioning
I currently have my center channel speaker (a Monitor Audio GR centre) on top on my TV. I've upgraded the center but it still has a little bit of "boxiness" to the sound, especially male vocals. I know it would be much better if I could get this speaker in front of the TV, but we would be constantly banging our knees into it in our small living room. Has anyboby been able to improve the sound by acoustical treatment (such as sound absorption behind the speaker) or other tricks. One thing I have right now is the speaker is tilted down into the room. That helps a little.
Daniel

Brian Steeves

Second Unit
I believe waht you are experiencing in due to the front of the tv acting as a continuation of the speaker itself. IOW it is bumping up the freq's that have the same wavelength as the tv's length. I don't really know of any way to remedy this other than putting the speaker in front of the tv or using some type of equaliztion.
Some others may have more insight though.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I think if you raised the speaker up a little, it might help. I see companies do it frequently(check Atlantic Tech.)
No, you dont have to have the speaker a foot above the TV, just build a 2" or so stand that lifts the center of the TV.
Supposedly that should work. But if you dont want to do construction, I guess you could put a towel under it.
Not my recomendation but it might work.
Good luck !!!

Daniel H

Auditioning
Thanks for the suggestions. I could try and raise the center a little. Right now it sits about 52" up. (It's on top of a Mitsubishi WS-55857.) I wonder if that idea is to give it a bit of physical open space between the speaker and TV.
As far as an EQ goes if I go to a seperate preamp and amp I could see about building up a single channel parameteric EQ for just a little it of null in the low midrange.
I guess if all else fails I put the speaker in front of the TV and wear knee pads.
wink.gif

Daniel H.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks