Center Channel Speaker Shelf for TV

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by brandon_, May 8, 2006.

1. brandon_

brandon_ Agent

Any issues with mounting a center channel on your TV with a speaker shelf? Im looking at circuit city and they sell adjustable mounts to sit on top of your TV. I have a 55" Sony LCD projection and I don’t want the speaker messing with anything internally. It’s a 100 watt center channel.

2. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

After seeing a rather large Polk center on that thing mounted to an LCD or DLP at a local CC, I decided to purchase one from buy.com. My current center channel should be very safe. I hope my new center speaker will do ok, but seeing this 45 pound monster mounted here (on a CRT, however) kinda eases my fears:

http://www.av123forum.com/photopost/...83rockets2.jpg

3. Anthony_C

Anthony_C Agent

I don't think you will have any issues as long as the center channel is shielded, which I'm pretty sure 99% of them are. I had mine mounted directly on my projection TV with some Velcro and never had any issues with it.

4. tonyKwok

tonyKwok Stunt Coordinator

I just built my own w/ materials I got from Home Depot. Having the center channel sit on top of a $3000 TV sounds rather risky to me. Mines is sitting below the TV while pointing up at the viewer. The total cost of the materials cost about $25.

[​IMG]

tony

5. Anthony_C

Anthony_C Agent

Looks great, did you make it out of MDF? MDF works perfect for projects like that because you can paint/stain it any color you want and it is extremely router freindly.

6. brandon_

brandon_ Agent

I went with the center shelf because I don’t have the room to put it below the TV and mounting it above would result in attaching it to a vaulted ceiling. Didn’t want to mess with the texturing. Besides, this allows the center to be flush with the screen. Anyone aware of any vibration issues from the center channel that may cause the TV to function improperly?

7. tonyKwok

tonyKwok Stunt Coordinator

Anthony_C,

the base is MDF. The rest is just douglas fir. I painted everything w/ a semi-gloss black paint.

8. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Unless you have a CRT tube (not projection), it's not going to matter whether it's shielded or not.

9. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Nice work. There's usually some sagging issues associated with the large CRT projections, but having had my 45 pound center on my 55" TV for over 2 years now, I've encountered 0 problems.

10. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

A Lot of folks are using the TV wall mounts like you can get a wallmart and such. This allows you to tilt and basicly hide the thing behind the speaker. The only time you can see it is from the side...

11. NeilO

NeilO Producer

I was wondering about center speaker placement. Right now, my speaker is on my 27" TV. But, if I go get one of those thin widescreen TVs, I obviously couldn't do that. So, I guess the options would be a shelf above the TV, or something like Tony shows in the above posts. Any pros or cons either way?

Thanks,

Neil

12. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

13. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

The problem I had with those shelves is that over time as the TV gets warm the sticky stuff that attaches to the TV starts to slip, the steeper that angle the more likely this is to happen, like on an LCD/DLP TV. I've had two of those shelves and I personally would NEVER set one on top of my LCD TV for that very reason. Mine worked on my TV for about 2 years........then it started to slip and I didn't notice it right away. Nhan, you have plenty of room on the shelf right under your TV, I'd put it there and angle it up. That's where I have mine.
    http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1141859899.jpg

14. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Nice speakers, Blaine. What are those? Unfortunately, my future center with a dimension of 8.5" high will not fit, as the front cross bar" will block the tweeters. Besides, my bed will muffle the sound if the center is closer to the ground.

If the thing does begin to slip, I can always remove the existing pad and add new ones. Or I can figure out another way. Thanks for the advance warning, btw.

Here's how we have my brother's center speaker mounted. It has a similar height dimension to my future center channel, so we've already tried it in the rack that he has (notice that is is pretty much the same one I have):

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php...center+speaker

15. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I like the shelf out from the wall WAY better than the shelf on the TV! I didn't even have much weight on mine, just a dish receiver at the time. My speakers are GR-Research kits I built. They are the AV-3's. Sub is an SVS PB-12 NSD/V. The stand I designed and built myself with the intention of puttign the center in that front center section. My only problem is I'm always limited to a center that is less than 19.5 inches wide and is either sealed or front ported. I love these GR Research speakers though and won't be parting with them for a long time, way better than the old B&W 602's and CDM speakers I had before.

16. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I installed that on-wall speaker mount myself. It looks pretty good, but I wanted to try something different with my own. Maybe in time, I'll design/build my own on-TV shelf to blend in better and distribute weight more evenly. Sweet stand you built, btw. VERY NICE!!!

Yea, I love Danny Richie's work. The 2 front speakers are a pair of Onix X-LS, which are very similar to Danny's AV-1s: http://www.gr-research.com/kits/av1.htm

I just bought some parts from Danny where I can modify the cross-over for better control. Hopefully, the speakers will sound as good as I am hoping they would--not that they are bad now--they're very good, indeed. The new X-CS center that Danny will be designing for AV123 will be pretty big and sealed. For $129, I don't see how they can make any profit at all!

17. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

You may want too give one off these a try.

[​IMG]

Its B-Tech wall mount that can hold upto 88lbs depending on the model. I used one to mount my Paradigm CC570 above my RPTV. All you need is to find a stud in your wall behind the tv and mount it with 3 lag bolts. The mount base plate can be angled down 7degrees.

18. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I know the AV-1's sound very nice. At the same time I built my AV-3's I built a pair of AV-1's for a friend of mine. I was impressed with them, very impressed. Even with the smaller 5.25 inch woofer it extended lower and was more solid than my old B&W 602s2 with a 7.5 inch woofer.

19. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i've had a b-tech gripping my L&R (speakers damnit!) and an L bracket for holding center for about 6months now. it's been grand, hasn't fallen off yet as loud as i've turned everything up. plus, no rattling and that's a plus.